• Arbourthorne
    • Burngreave
    • Parson Cross
    • Wincobank
    • Manor Park
    • Darnall
    • Woodthorpe
    • City Centre

The boarded up houses may not be anything to do with trouble, our council have this terrible habit of boarding them up, claiming they cant get tennants for them, and then being granted more money to spend... It helps no one other themselves really, and leaves hundreds of people on the prioroty list waiting for about 6 months, bidding on properties that they dont get, but that no one else does either..The same property comes up week after week. Same with those not on prority for that matter, but they may find that should they actually mention that they bidded on a house that has still not been let, that they get it.... Im glad you liked your time on the manor tho, i drove thru today and got given the low down of its entire history by my OH after making the mistake of mentioning the castle and how i never expected it to be there lol

There aren't any council houses on the Manor now - Pennine Housing, Parkway Housing and other housing associations have taken them over. That's the problem when you quote posts that are 6 years old, things do change.

I vote for that bit of city centre between Argos and the Wicker.

(Waingate?)

Where the markets are.

Blimey , had the misfortune of walking up there to get a paper the other day and what a craphole.

Saw at least two drug deals take place in broad daylight.

Whole place needs knocking down.

On the upside , the wicker is quite nice these days although for the life of me I dont get who is eating so much fast food round there , must be 9 takeaways in 100 yards.

How many people have put Manor down cos they've heard it's the 'worst estate in Britain'? That's not on. :lol:

You're far more likely to have a dangerous encounter in Burngreave or Pitsmoor...

I've sampled the delights of living in all of these places. Actually, during my 'desperate domiciles' stage, I preferred Manor to the others. :P

its not on saying your more likely to have a dangerous encounter in Pitsmoor/Burngreave::rant:

Round Burngreave your only likely to get hurt if your involved in trouble in the first place, round the mannor you have teenie boppers threatening old ladies and robbing anything that aint nailed down, and yes i am speaking from personal recent experience, I can walk round pitsmoor all hours with no grief yet the manor i wont walk around in daylight - not unless my dog is with me anyway.;)

pitsmoor is nice and chilled out now.its right near town and everyone is chucking money in to the area,and we get everything for free,and were all happy as pie.WEEEEE LOVEEE ITTTTTT.

This is very much the same with any area very close to the city centre; such as Parkhill and Castle Ward, which are undergoing redevelopment/refurbishment of public and private housing stock; which other city can you live so close to the centre in affordable housing, although when things pick up I will be worried that prices and rents might really start climbing...

What I really feel sorry for are the areas (primarily Meersbrook) where all the problem families who used to live in Parkhill/Manor/Nether Edge have been dumped; much of the housing stock in S8 is the worst anywhere in the city, with multiple occupancy/bedsit pre-1900 houses; someone I knew had to share a house with 7 other students there, and it was in a dreadful state, even by short-term student housing standards...

I see that the Manor estate has had alot of votes for the worst area and a few cutting posts made.

I have always lived in the Manor Area of Sheffield I have found that my neighbours are friendly helpful and down to earth, alot of them work and have families and keep lovely homes the monority are the ones that do not bother with their properties and do not work etc.

Crowds of young ones on the streets are now moved on and sent home by the police and alot of the young gangs where we live are actually ok there is nothing for them to do with themselves but a few have tried to help gardening for elderely ones. I have had a couple of problems with what some of you more narrow minded people would call 'yobs' and we have found a calm attitude and going to see the parents and asking them to handle the situation has worked and we have even had a couple of 'yobs' knock and say sorry after seeing their parents.

I feel it is the way you interact and handle people living in this area alot of the 'yobs' have not had opportunities that some of you have had and already feel bad enough about themselves.

To be honest because they have low self esteem they are not afraid to be reasoned with and are humble enough to say sorry there are exeptions and everyone know who these ones are and keep away from them.

To be totally honest it is Woodthorpe Lower Manor area that I live and we have found that it is people passing through from Woodhouse and Handsworth who think they can get away with causing trouble,as they feel that they are 'better than everyone else' and can get away with it that cause some problems.

Just a small example my husband works at Chesterfield and last week we were driving through 'one of the nice areas' and a young lad one his bike rode towards our car swearing really badly as if he was going to drive straight at the car. I said to my husband we may live in a rough area of Sheffield but when we drive onto the road where we live ,when the lads are playing with their footballs and bikes they always moved off the road and wave. They do not carry on like the posh little snob that drove at our car swearing plus I have a 20 months old baby in the car and car signs all around so the little snob could not read by the looks of it either! So people that live in a good area are not always the most polite!

As a parent myself although my daughter is still young so not an expert yet! we all try (where I live) to be honest not get heated and see the parents and let them handle their children it really works rather than going out and having a row with anyone, alot of parents say you come to me if there is a problem and I will handle my kids and up to now it has worked.

Now try doing that to a surgeon's son in Totley they would not believe their 'little angel has done anything wrong'!!!!!

Archived