• Arbourthorne
    • Burngreave
    • Parson Cross
    • Wincobank
    • Manor Park
    • Darnall
    • Woodthorpe
    • City Centre

I used to work in Fir Vale (think I'm right to say that's roughly the same area as Pitsmoor?) opposite the new Fir Vale School. I'm proud of the people I worked for that they put their faith into an area that suffers a poor reputation (they only moved there 2 1/2 years ago). I agree that I wouldn't have liked to have wandered round the area late at night, though on the occasions I worked late (1am a few times and once to 5am) I wouldn't say I felt particularly unsafe locking up and leaving. Don't know how different I'd feel working further from the main road though.

Something else - stray off the main road (Barnsley Road?) a bit and you're often into some very attractive housing. In terms of their material qualities a lot of these areas are appealling. They just need managing and maintaining better but until the social problems in these areas are sorted (and in all cases it is a minority causing the majority of the trouble) this is unlikely to have the desired effect (ie., it'll just give the troublemakers newer buildings to destroy).

At least Pitsmoor is populated. Far scarier in my mind is the estate on the red light district side of Netherthorpe Road. The area seems to be practically deserted - many of the ground floor flats boarded up and others seemingly lacking curtains and furniture (and occupants?). Does the council have something in mind for these? Despite it being a monumentally ugly area the feeling of unease you get when walking through there would be mitigated a bit if there were more people there, but even during the day it seems to be only populated with prostitutes. It is unfortunate that the area is so neglected as the area on the other side of Netherthorpe Road feels safe and looks far more appealling.

Chris, I guess you mean the Upper Allen, Leicester Walk and Daisy Bank low rise flats. They are to be pulled down once everybody has been re-housed and replaced with housing similar to that on the other side of Netherthorpe Road. (The houses are to replaced not the people)

They have never been particulary attractive and I've often thought that architects should be required to live in their 'designs' before they are released to normal people.

Originally posted by "maxt"

Chris, I guess you mean the Upper Allen, Leicester Walk and Daisy Bank low rise flats. They are to be pulled down once everybody has been re-housed and replaced with housing similar to that on the other side of Netherthorpe Road. (The houses are to replaced not the people)

I'm glad to see there's a plan for the area. I'll have to get myself into town and see what they're thinking...

Originally posted by "maxt"

They have never been particulary attractive and I've often thought that architects should be required to live in their 'designs' before they are released to normal people.

I rather like the implication there that architects aren't normal people :D Unfortunately, bad buildings arise as a result of a much wider range of issues (and people) than just the architect - if it was just the architect then it'd be an easier problem to solve. I agree that there are many lousy buildings in Sheffield though and know what it's like to feel you've had a building foistered on you - it's wrong and there should be practical ways for the people who have to live with buildings to influence them more.

Originally posted by "The Cycleracer"

Chris have you been to Pitsmoor lately.

Its like a ghost town no more than a dozen people in the whole area.

Its due for demolishion.

I'm not that familiar with where one area starts and another stops round there. Also, it is nearly two years since I was working round there so, assuming I had got the name correct, there is every chance it's changed since then.

Which bit exactly is due for demolition?

Woodside is being demolished.

Chris the areas housing consists of maisonettes and are looked upon as slums, rightly so, but someone mentioned that the designers of these maisonettes should live in them before putting folk into them.

What you have got to remember is that estate was built in 1963 and housed the familys that lived in the back to back houses that dominated the area before it and the big slum clearance from Fowler St, Woodside lane made it possible for them to have decent housing.

It was a pleasure to live in that area during the 60s, as we had a proper bath,hot water, central heating and clean surroundings.

It was paradise in comparison to what we had before and the area where the slums stood on Stanley works field became a large open space to play on.

Now Woodside is in the same position again, but the designers don,t have a problem rebuilding it to 21st century standards, because the real reason for not rebuilding on the present Pitsmoor is because of the people of today, the lack of respect for people, property and abuse.

Everyone has opinions about todays society being worse than it used to be but I am confident in saying that it is, having lived in the 1960s behavior from children in todays society is different from when i was a child, because parents are different and so on which links with why they will not rebuild Pitsmoor.

Shame really because there is people out there wanting decent housing who will respect there surroundings, but put in 1 bad egg and they end up putting the area back into decline.

Archived