Nato's fuel tankers in Pakistan

If that did happen, it would be a real problem.

Pakistan has nuclear weapons. If Pakistan was to be taken over by a Taleban-controlled government, the Taleban would have nuclear weapons.

Right.

They may be able to start a local nuclear war but as for delivering them intercontinental style that is another matter.

If that did happen, it would be a real problem.

Pakistan has nuclear weapons. If Pakistan was to be taken over by a Taleban-controlled government, the Taleban would have nuclear weapons.

Right.

I read that there's an arrangement for the US to go in and recover Pakistan's nuclear warheads to prevent them falling into the hands of the Taleban if things ever go tits up.

They may be able to start a local nuclear war but as for delivering them intercontinental style that is another matter.

Oh, just a local nuclear war ... not a problem then.;)

If you want to deliver something 'intercontinental' there's always Fed-Ex. Or I suppose you could offer them for sale 'buyer collects'.

I read that there's an arrangement for the US to go in and recover Pakistan's nuclear warheads to prevent them falling into the hands of the Taleban if things ever go tits up.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that somebody had 'made arrangements'. ;).

Skint? - How many poor countries can you list who have their own nuclear arsenal?

The floods would've been a huge problem for any country, but didn't they receive a vast influx of aid from the oil-rich Muslim countries?

After all, if somebody draws a handful of cartoons there are global riots and we hear how Muslims must stick together.

Do they not stick together when one country suffers a disaster and needs aid?

How many Muslim countries came to the aid of the Kosovon's?

Whose side are Pakistan really on?

You can probably conclude which side that they're on, by counting the number of their soldiers who have died fighting the Taliban.

I agree. The current government of Pakistan is an ally, but that government faces considerable threats from within the country. The level of opposition to the current government probably limits severely the action they can take and perhaps it's a matter of time before the government is ousted. If - or when - the present government falls, it will cause major problems.

In 1965, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto said: "If India builds the bomb, we will eat grass or leaves, even go hungry, but we will get one of our own. We have no other choice."

The Americans supplied Pakistan with a reactor (another country wanting atomic energy for peaceful purposes? ;)) and the Brits and the Belgians helped them with designs for plutonium separation facilities. They didn't need to borrow scientists - they had then (and have now) no shortage of highly-qualified and extremely competent scientists and engineers.

I agree. The current government of Pakistan is an ally, but that government faces considerable threats from within the country. The level of opposition to the current government probably limits severely the action they can take and perhaps it's a matter of time before the government is ousted. If - or when - the present government falls, it will cause major problems.

In 1965, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto said: "If India builds the bomb, we will eat grass or leaves, even go hungry, but we will get one of our own. We have no other choice."

The Americans supplied Pakistan with a reactor (another country wanting atomic energy for peaceful purposes? ;)) and the Brits and the Belgians helped them with designs for plutonium separation facilities. They didn't need to borrow scientists - they had then (and have now) no shortage of highly-qualified and extremely competent scientists and engineers.

The best explanation I've ever heard for the current state of nuclear proliferation was I think from Yes Prime Minister.

USA made one so the USSR had to have one. The USSR had one so China had to have one. China had one so India had to have one. India had one so Pakistan had to have one. As for us, the French have one so we have to have one!

Archived