So, the fireworks have started again..

Classic Rock

I came home to a dog, who had only been on his own for an hour, to find him shaking, the carpets upstairs torn from under the doors and a nice wee wee stain on the upstairs landing.

I'm faced with this every year and have always avoided getting the sedatives simply because the fireworks go on from late September right through until December and the new year. They even let them off in the daytime!

I think to sedate my dog continually for three months can't do him any good.

I've dug out my dog crate which he thankfully goes into quite happily. I think he must feel quite safe inside it. I'm just worried about him being in there and shaking and scared on his own when I do go out, but we can't let dogs rule our lives to the point where we are housebound with them for months.

So my question to you all is how do I get dark wee stains out of a carpet?

How awful that it affects him that badly :( Have you ever tried serene-ums? They're non-prescription and from what I know are just amino-acids and nothing nasty in them. I know a lot of people swear by them when it's fireworks time. If you don't want to use them all the time, maybe just for the week before and week after bonfire night as it's usually the busiest time for fireworks?

For some reason Molly, whilst being the most nervous GSD about some things, doesn't bother about fireworks at all- for that I am eternally grateful. This is a dog who panics about stainless steel food bowls and wheelbarrows, so you can imagine how much I was looking forward to fireworks, but she doesn't seem to register them at all.

As for the wee stain, the answer is:

1 Blot very well

2 Rinse with cold water and blot again, standing on the towel to get as much water out as possible

3 Wash with biological clothes washing liquid and a stiff brush, rinse and blot again, making sure to take this wash and rinse further out than the original stain

4 Beg or borrow a steam cleaner to steam the whole area

5 Follow with some pet smell odour killer if you have some.

I have recently bought a dap difusser and all i can say is how wonderful they are and have calmed miss skitty spot down no end.

I got a package which was a diffuser, refil and the spray which i use just before going out or bed for £45 ish. Not sure if im overkilling the dap but its working so i dont mind lol