So, the fireworks have started again..

Classic Rock

I need to get another DAP refill for my plug in. Both of my childhood Jack Russells responded well to the DAP when stressed they would both go and lay in front of it.

I used Serenum with Albert and found it great it certainly took the edge of it for him and without it i couldn't get him to go and toilet at all.

Has knowone tried actualy playing a cd recording of fireworks very low at first and increasing sound every couple hours know it sounds silly but can assure it do,s work for most.

Other than that yeah leave radio on to dull sound i got one in sheds leave it on 24hours once fire works start although ferrets dont seem to mind them one bit.

Edited by terminator

I've used a DAP collar for my girl when she's had to deal with scary situations and it really made a noticeable difference, she was a lot calmer than normal. I think they last for a month so 3 should see you from now until after the New Year's Eve fireworks

one of my dogs was the same terrified with fireworks she could hear them miles away! she was the same with a thunderstorm too, she knew when one was on its way she would whine shake and shiver her way through it from beginning to end!

I've tried leaving the radio on before, full blast, but he has sensitive ears and still manages to hear the bangs which turn him into a shaking animal.

Strix I love the idea of covering the cage with a blanket. I've got cushions on top of it at the moment, so I'll try draping something around it. It'll be like a cave!

Terminator I'm not sure about the CD of fireworks. They'll either give him heart failure or he'll realise they're not real and contained to the speakers in the living room so will figure out the sound is not real. Isn't it strange how we know how our animals will react?!

I'm awaiting the mail order drugs lol

I sell, and stand by serene-um. It's great stuff, or at least it has been for mine but I never use the full dose as I understand some people say their dogs have reacted a bit too much to the full dose.

I managed to get Takara totally over her fireworks phobia using serene-um! It's not a sedative, as Berkana says. It basically works to increase the levels of serotonin released (happy hormone) and allows the dog to think more calmly through stressful situations. I had tried associating fireworks with positive things for 2 years on the trot and had no success. One year, I bit the bullet and gave her serene-um (low dose) before doing the same old 'throw a ball when a firework goes off' and 'scatter treats around when a firework goes off' as well as creating a little den for her etc etc. it worked straight away and I've never had a problem since! I was amazed!!

I've had no success with DAP in the past but I know many have, you do need to plug it in early though.

It really is awful seeing them so stressed, it used to really upset Takara. I'm actually quite looking forward to fireworks night this year (first time in 5 years) and reckon I could actually take the girls to a firework display! Bubble would absolutely love it as she's deaf but loves visual things. Not sure if a display might be a little too much for T but she's now fine with fireworks and gunshots (any loud noise - even just the cupboard door slamming to) used to send her bolting behind the nearest armchair, or bush etc!

If you do want some serene-um dropping off just let me know :)

• 6 years later...

Only one more day to go and it's probably a bit late to start alternative therapies to help calm dogs and cats. I was at the vets recently and noticed they were selling Nutracalm so I am giving it a go this year on the dog who is noise phobic. I can see why it might be effective because it contains plenty of B vitamins and these directly affect the nervous system. Also has tryptophan, an amino acid that helps to calm the cat or dog. Turkey has a high level of this so might be useful to try. Nutracalm has some useful advice in their leaflet so is worth reading. They suggest a high carbohydrate meal just before the fireworks begin. The product is only available at veterinary surgeries.

Relax My Dog has soothing, relaxing music on YouTube. Tried it on the app on my television last night and it is very much like the Landscape Channel but with occasional doggie pictures added in.

Edited by ccit

Dreading it all, my dogs are truly terrified even a small bang now gets reaction...I bought a firework CD to try to desensitize them but even at the lowest possible level they showed signs of distress, I see this being a long drawn out thing somehow I will start again over the next year :(

I have ended up buying Adaptil for this year, up to now nothing really different, I am also going to try a DIY version of the Thunder shirt over the next few days, if anyone else has ideas or any great successes I would love to hear about them.

Thanks for bringing this back up ccit its very pertinent to this time of year and could be very helpful.

I have thought of buying a Thundershirt but they are a bit pricey. Would not mind the cost if I knew that they worked but although there are good reviews there are others that say they did not work. I have an ordinary, fleece lined dog coat and tried that fastened firmly (not too tight). She's a small dog so I held her close and she did settle down.

I've heard of body wraps like the

and wondered if that might help.Maybe a large crepe bandage would do the trick.

I started the Nutracalm on Monday and so far my dog has been quite relaxed but as yet the noise has not been bad around here. It is said to work quite quickly so if you fancy giving it a go then best to contact your vet. If they don't have any, Hall Court are stocking it - they have a branch at Handsworth. Have also started her on a small amount of Natures Menu raw turkey complete at dinner time to top up the tryptophan.

The Nutracalm leaflet says a carbohydrate meal immediately before the noise begins should help. Maybe mashed potato/sweet potato would suffice. When I give mine sweet potato I pierce it and cook it for about 11/12 minutes on full power in the microwave - comes out nice and soft. Alternatively, it can be cut in strips and cooked slowly in a low oven to make crunchy treats.

They say that sedatives are not thought to be useful because the dog can still hear the noise, be distressed by it but cannot react.

I've tried Adaptil collar and herbal remedies in the past with no luck. My dog is too old to start desensitization and I really don't want to trouble her with it. I think it will be television/music on at full blast - just deciding on Mozart or Strauss!