Anyone remember the olivers from attercliffe

pepe1

My Mum had a shop next to Oliver's, it was called The Little Wonder. It went on a compulsory purchase order along with the whole row. They were to the left opposite the baths on that end of Newhall Road. We used to have pork sarnies at about 9 and I think they were from Olivers.

There were houses behind some of the shops, one room affairs, the people were really poor, considering we lived in a modern 3 bed semi in Grenoside it was a culture shock but I remember a kid I befriended was as good a mate as any I had in Greno. I used to watch the Bananasplits on their telly on Saturday mornings. Then at 12.30 my Dad would walk from Firth Browns to the chippy on the corner of Newhall Road then after we'd eaten we'd catch a football special to Hillsborough to watch Wednesday. Happy days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Harry, John Mick and Peter are sons of Harold who worked with his brothers Edwin, Ernest, Dick and Harry for their father Edward Oliver, my grandfather. Edwards other sons George and Ted also owned shops in Attercliffe opposite Banners and the Attercliffe Palace. Another son Alf (also mentioned in this thread) worked for Edward's brother Ernest in the shop on Staniforth Rd. Ted had a son Teddy and a grandson Michael who eventually owned the shop on Eccleshall Road. There is a whole tribe of Olivers and their families although the only sibling still alive is Gladys, the youngest daughter of Edward. George's grandson David has a website for family information.