Israel will require new Citizen Loyalty Oath

What have the saudis opening christian churches got to do with the op? :rolleyes:

Why don't you start another thread about christian churches in saudi arabia instead of derailing this one.

Also may i ask why the Americans havn't pressed the issue of no non muslim places of worship in saudi arabia?

The Palestinians object to the Israelis describing Israel as a Jewish State (Judaism is a religion most Palestinians are not Jews.)

Neither they - nor anybody else - seem to think that there is anything which might be considered to be 'dual standard' in adopting that attitude towards Israel whilst describing Saudi Arabia (I used the state as an example) as a Muslim state.

I don't give a damn whether Saudi Arabia or Israel (or any other state for that matter) has Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jain or an other kind of churches.

Nor do I care whether a country describes itself as a Muslim state. a Christian State or a state of total disorder.

It seems strange, however that one particular group of people think it quite normal for one group to describe a state as (in this instance) a 'Muslim state' but are outraged when another state claims a different religious affiliation.

If you want to ask why the Americans haven't pressed the matter of religious freedom in Saudi Arabia, feel free. - I'm sure you can find an address and somebody to ask.

A number of Americans have asked why the US doesn't make an issue about US female personnel being unable to drive vehicles in Saud Arabie - I suspect the answer is 'why bother?' Others have wondered why (particularly in the First Gulf War) US Troops were forbidden alcohol ... as were the Brits - but the Brits seemed to wash their hair rather often. Judging by the number of crates of Shampoo in their stores.

Other US forces were annoyed when they were told they were not permitted to take Bibles with them to Saudi Arabia. - The US government ignored the complaint.

Many people wonder why the US government bothers to support the House of Saud. The reason is irrelevant - for the time being, they do support them.

The original Guardian Article suggests that peace in the Middle East could hang on a few words in an oath devised by the Israeli government. perhaps that is the case. I very much doubt that the Israeli government are going to back down.

Desist from hate speech and defamation.

Good idea, poppet.

Plenty of countries require citizens to pledge allegiance to a jewish state?

Australia have done it for years..

How extraordinary

Are they trying to catch the Aborigines out again?

This is a good idea and should be adopted in all western countries with citizens who are first generation born of middle east origin.

Too often home grown terrorists see their loyalty to their religion more important than that to the country they happen to be born in.

If they refuse to take the oath then they should lose their nationality and be sent to the country their parents came from

Very few - if any - countries include a requirement for religion in their oath to the state. The USA is about the only one I can think of offhand, and theirs is known to be against their own constitution.

I can't see any religious requirement here....

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God

This is a good idea and should be adopted in all western countries with citizens who are first generation born of middle east origin.

Too often home grown terrorists see their loyalty to their religion more important than that to the country they happen to be born in.

If they refuse to take the oath then they should lose their nationality and be deported back to the country their parents came from

But do you really need to take an oath to be loyal to a county?

Indeed giving evidence at a trial I refused to swear on the bible to tell the truth simply because I will tell the truth anyway, irrespective if my hand is on a book or not.

Who do you take an oath to anyway? The queen? God?

Very few - if any - countries include a requirement for religion in their oath to the state.

you're missing an important point here. Recognising Israel as a state that is Jewish in character is not the same as recognising Israel as a Judaic state. Jews are not simply people that practice Judaism. There's millions of atheist Jews and Israelis. There is no official religion in Israel and G*d won't be mentioned in this pledge.

Archived