How do I complain about thefts from within post items?

Royal Mail website.

Wish you the best of luck.

A few years ago I had serious issues with mail going missing over a long period including a lot of stuff that was definitly posted like bank statements, letters from the accountant and even some recorded delivery legal documents.

At one point I was reporting missing stuff on a weekly basis to no avail, eventually they stopped responding to my reports.

Then a couple of months later someone found a load of mail dumped out in the countryside, turned out the postie was just dumping the mail instead of delivering it. Police got involved, not sure what happened then.

Some junk mail was recovered and delivered with a pathetic photo-copy letter, kind of makes you wonder why the Royal Mail is failing as a business. Not.

New postie that replaced him is fantastic.

Yes, it had £15 cash in it, the side of the envelope had been sliced open, the cash removed and the card very kindly delivered

HI here goes

1-Sometimes if the card is in a flimsy envelope it can get caught up in the machinery and gets damaged.

This sometimes happens when it has a badge or it is an handmade card which is too thick for normal postage rates.

2-If it is damaged and some contents are missing it should have been delivered in an apology bag

3-If this is not the case and you think is has been opened,save the envelope as you received it and contact customer services at http://www.royalmail.com.

Regardless to what other people say these instances are taken very seriously and will be investigated.

Isn't this why they don't advise sending cash uninsured in the post? Ultimately this could conceivably come down to your word against theirs - my guess would be you can't prove their was cash in it when sent. Neither can they prove there wasn't.

For the comparatively low amount my guess would be a complaint might get the £15 back together with an explanation of better services to use to send cash.

If it was the postie, it is a very stupid postie - far better (for him/her) to take the money then not deliver it at all, i would have thought.

To be honest,when these things happen it could have been tampered with before it got to the postie or after.

Incorrectly addressed mail is a pain with cards ie birthday,xmas.

When the mail has the wrong number(which happens everyday) your regular postie will know.If it is not then the temp postie will deliver to the number addressed .

Then if you have a dishonest neighbour they could tamper with the mail and post it back .

I am not saying that it couldn't have been opened during the process through the mail system.

Simply do not send money,gift tokens etc through standard post,pay that little bit extra and get special delivery that covers you if anything happens

Anyone know how I go about reporting a theft from my son's birthday card whilst in the postal system in Sheffield.

Ring 08457 740 740 or make a post on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/royalmail

You should NEVER send cash through the regular post, it isn't insured. Send cash using Royal Mail special delivery, specially designed for sending cash and can be fully insured.

Isn't this why they don't advise sending cash uninsured in the post? Ultimately this could conceivably come down to your word against theirs - my guess would be you can't prove their was cash in it when sent. Neither can they prove there wasn't.

For the comparatively low amount my guess would be a complaint might get the £15 back together with an explanation of better services to use to send cash.

I advise sending cash in the post uninsured as the cost of insuring it is too high. If you send cash in the post frequently it's better to take the risk of loss yourself than pay the ridiculously high cost of insurance that the post office charges.

It works out cheaper to take the occasional hit when a letter goes missing than to insure every letter. It's also advisable to disguise the cash so that it can't be felt or seen from the outside.

Archived