Trendy clothes shops in the 50s and 60s

Don't really know about the 50s, although there were some very posh frock shops in Sheffield then. My mother and her sisters used to go to one on London Road called Irene Wright, which typically just had one item in the window, displayed with bag, shoes and gloves or maybe a 'stole' and hat. Never any prices on anything. She was always called "Madame Irenee" as though she was a French modiste! Jaeger, Walsh, Cockaynes, Roberts Brothers, Marshall and Snelgrove on Leopald Street, Trueloves at Broomhill. They weren't exactly 'trendy' I suppose, but they were very classic. You wouldn't have come out of any of them looking like a Pink Lady :)

In the 60s, there was Wallis, and a couple of boutiques on Chapel Walk, Werffs, Lift up your Skirts and Fly, just off the top of my head. I used to make most of my own outfits, because I was always full of ideas about what I wanted to wear and except for Mary Quant, no-one was actually making anything on trend for the mass market.

There was a shop called "Lift up your skirts and fly" (late 60s early 70s). Don't know what street it was on but it was behind the town hall at right angles to Surrey Street if my memory serves.

I bought an Ozzie Clark dress there before he was famous!! I went in every week and paid something and when I had paid for it I could take the dress. Far cry from the credit society we live in these days!!

I am so very sorry that I have no idea what happened to that dress, it was lovely!

I only can remember the most famous shoe shop of the 60s and 70s as Dempseys on the Park Hill Flats he-he! What a shop that was, we always got our shoes there when I was a child growing up in the 60s.

Then there was John Banners and all the shops down Attercliffe that my mum and sisters used to go in.

Lift up your skirt was owned by Roger Howe who went on to become Pete Stringfellow's right hand man. understand that he had nearly as many women as Pete!!!

Yes,it was owned by Roger,who I believe went to the USA to work with Pete .The shop's name was taken from single by a group called "John's Children" - i believe it was called" Desdemona ". I was one of Roger's many girlfriends for a short time in 1968 -9 (bonus - cheap Ossie Clark clothes!) but I understand he eventually decided he preferred the company of his own sex! That may or may not be true,but he was a very nice bloke.

I too have thrown away clothes I wish I'd kept (Ossie Clark,Biba,Mary Quant Ginger Group etc) I really wish I hadn't,though they'd never fit me now,of course!

Hi,

What was the shop on the left hand side going down Snig Hill called?

I can remember buying some great tops etc. from there!

Do you mean Cockaynes? I used to make most of my own clothes but used to look round all the shops with a tape measure and a note book copying ideas. Peter Robinsons used to be quite good and there was one on the Moor Helen somethings :huh: I got my going away suit when I got married from there.

Archived