Cousins children

I watch the Heir Hunters, you know! :D One thing that amazed me is that if anyone dies intestate in England, first cousins no matter how many times removed can inherit, but not second or third cousins. It's different in Scotland and Ireland. I find that bizarre.

Just to take it on a step, your cousins grandchildren are first cousins twice removed to you, and second cousins once removed to your child. Your grandchildren and your cousin's grandchildren are third cousins to one another.

It makes your head spin, doesn't it ... ;)

I watch the Heir Hunters, you know! :D One thing that amazed me is that if anyone dies intestate in England, first cousins no matter how many times removed can inherit, but not second or third cousins.

Looked at in the right light, this is a logical policy. If your parents, siblings, and children are all dead or nonexistent, your next nearest relative is your own first cousin; if he is dead, then his heirs will receive your estate and take priority over any second cousins.

Looked at in the right light, this is a logical policy. If your parents, siblings, and children are all dead or nonexistent, your next nearest relative is your own first cousin; if he is dead, then his heirs will receive your estate and take priority over any second cousins.
Yes, but I was meaning if there are no cousins in the direct line. The money then goes to the State.

Watching the programme is certainly an object lesson in making a will if you have no close relatives that you actually know. It's been quite fascinating. Sometimes people have relatives or friends that have taken care of them for years, and fully intended that those people should benefit. Then they die without a valid will and the estate is passed to some unknown cousin, sometimes even in another country or even passed to the Exchequer.

I watch the Heir Hunters, you know! :D One thing that amazed me is that if anyone dies intestate in England, first cousins no matter how many times removed can inherit, but not second or third cousins. It's different in Scotland and Ireland. I find that bizarre.

Just to take it on a step, your cousins grandchildren are first cousins twice removed to you, and second cousins once removed to your child. Your grandchildren and your cousin's grandchildren are third cousins to one another.

It makes your head spin, doesn't it ... ;)

I've suddenly got the urge to start singing the old song "I'm My own Grandpa!"

It's boggling my mind!

Archived