Cousins children

Just to take it on a step, your cousins grandchildren are first cousins twice removed to you, and second cousins once removed to your child. Your grandchildren and your cousin's grandchildren are third cousins to one another.

Looked at in the right light, this is a logical policy.

Essentially, "removed" is up and down the family tree, # cousin is left/right on the same generational line.

Interesting stuff auto, I didn't know that. I've never had any reason to understand family connections, but seems weird that I'm not likely to have any first cousin twice removeds in the future, however, I've probably had loads in the past, most likely dead before I was born. :|:confused::hihi:

Could someone tell me, what relation are my cousins children to my children, I understand their children are my second cousins ?

...Just to take it on a step, your cousins grandchildren are first cousins twice removed to you, and second cousins once removed to your child. Your grandchildren and your cousin's grandchildren are third cousins to one another.

It makes your head spin, doesn't it ... ;)

Thanks for this explanation Ruby. I read it four times before I finally understood it though!

Now can you answer my query please?

What relation are my children to my late mother's surviving female sibling? She is my aunt (and incidently a remarkable woman at 93!) - but am I right in assuming she is a great-aunt to my son and daughter (and, in turn, they are her great-nephew and great-niece?) :help:

What relation are my children to my late mother's surviving female sibling? She is my aunt (and incidently a remarkable woman at 93!) - but am I right in assuming she is a great-aunt to my son and daughter (and, in turn, they are her great-nephew and great-niece?) :help:

Correct. I suppose if they have children, your aunt will be great-great-aunt to their children, but not many people carry things that far.

Thanks for this explanation Ruby. I read it four times before I finally understood it though!

Now can you answer my query please?

Looks right red. If she has a child, it is your children's first cousin once removed. (I think)

Archived