Marco @ Milanos - Trying to book a table

Maxster

We tried to book a table for 6 people for a Saturday night in October. We have been here half a dozen times in the past.

We were given a choice of either 7:30 or 09:30. For either booking we could only have the table for two hours; how do I know how long 6 people will take to eat three courses?

We then had to give a deposit of £10 per person; that's sixty pounds to make a booking when they determine when we can eat.

Sorry but they may need to remove there head out of their ar$e$; this is Sheffield not Knigtsbridge.

This seems a ridiculous policy; it's their loss at the end of the day.

Does this seem reasonable to you?

Its a very popular (and quite small) place, they are telling you in advance that the table is booked out for someone else at 9.30 for your first booking and the other booking probably runs into closing time hence the two hours again.

Not heard of them doing the deposit thing before but if 6 people dont turn up its a big chunk of revenue gone.

Its an excellent restaurant and I suppose they are only covering their a***.

If you turned up at 9.30 and the previous occupants of your table were dawdling about and you had to wait you would not be very happy.

I can see your point but I wouldnt take the hard line.

I agree the restaurant is good but giving them £60 three weeks in advance and by credit card over the phone, against PCI rules, before even eating does not sit that good with me.

There needs to be an element of trust but seems to have disappeared.

As far as the 2 hours only for a table they must know how long 6 people take to eat three courses; perhaps 2 hours is fine but there are too many factors which I couldn't influence, speed of service, how busy they are etc, so it appears to be weighted in their favor not mine.

Not to worry there are plenty of other good Italian restaurants in Sheffield who have less stringent booking policies; they clearly have plenty of customer happy to comply with them.

Archived