Sheffield - London St Pancras 1980s

Dannyzz

Just having a think back to the old days before the station was redeveloped. Any memories of it in the 80s? I recall the old style Inter City trains quite well that served St Pancras.

A business colleague and I used to do a package deal with Keith Prowse Enterprises. I recall that a 2nd class return on the Master Cutler was £14.00, a single room B&B at the Holland Park Hilton was circa £16.00.

We used to go into the 1st class dining car just before the Leicester stop, full English was £7.95 and we used to stay there until we reached St Pancras.

Just having a think back to the old days before the station was redeveloped. Any memories of it in the 80s? I recall the old style Inter City trains quite well that served St Pancras.

80s, Old days ? now I do feel old, I remember it well in the 60s :)

80s, Old days ? now I do feel old, I remember it well in the 60s :)

how about 1946 left for Leicester but no one told us how it was spelt so went through and land up at St Pancras had to turn around and got sent back, but long story Ill tell u about it one day:cool::cool:

Ever since such trains as the Thames-Clyde Express stopped running (mid-1970s) and Leeds acquired its electrified service to London (late 1980s) Sheffield has been more-or-less at the end of a branch line as far as trains to London are concerned. But British Rail did their best, bless 'em, and a little over two hours isn't bad for a journey to London.

I commuted to London weekly in the early 1980s; the timekeeping was quite good (but the trains got packed to the gunnels on Fridays) and the fares weren't bad. The trains looked like this..:)

Does anyone remember the 1960s when the Master Cutler was all-Pullman and went via Retford?

Hi Dannyzz. Remember St. Pancras from 1941 when it was all steam, what a tremendous sight and smell.Once whilst waiting for relatives from Sheffield to arrive a driver from one of the expresses standing there allowed me up onto the footplate, in those days for a young lad that would have been akin to winning the lottery. Evacuated to Sheffield 1943 from Kent and travelled on my own to Sheffield with a label attached to my coat and watched over by visits from the guard, my relatives waiting on Midland Station for me. In later years travelled to Sheffield on the . Thames Clyde Express. The Master Cutler, and does anyone remember a great looking train called The South Yorkshireman.

Cheers Gordon 1936

how about 1946 left for Leicester but no one told us how it was spelt so went through and land up at St Pancras had to turn around and got sent back, but long story Ill tell u about it one day:cool::cool:

I swear those platform men would purposely tell you the wrong platform your train was about to leave on when they could see you were in a hurry :mad: must have made their day :)

Archived