Should we worry about Turkey possibly joining the EU?

Is it a good thing that a country like Turkey being a full member of the EU?

The dominant religion in Turkey is Islam.

Turkey will have the second largest numbrt of MEP's.

While on a visit to Saudi Arabia this year, the Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that the Turkish government abolished visa requirements for several Middle Eastern countries, including Syria and Libya, this could mean that if Turkey is part of the EU, almost the entire Middle East will have legal and visa free access to Europe, and to Britain.

When asked at a press conference if this visa liberalisation would change if Turkey joined the EU, Mr Erdogan answered with a quote from the Koran: "Strive for what is right, as it (by God) is commanded."

MODS I'VE COCKED THE TITLE UP, REMOVE "OF TURKEY" AT THE END PLEASE! :hihi:

I've even turned the rest of it into English for you:)

Is it a good thing that a country like Turkey being a full member of the EU?

The dominant religion in Turkey is Islam.

Turkey will have the second largest numbrt of MEP's.

While on a visit to Saudi Arabia this year, the Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that the Turkish government abolished visa requirements for several Middle Eastern countries, including Syria and Libya, this could mean that if Turkey is part of the EU, almost the entire Middle East will have legal and visa free access to Europe, and to Britain.

When asked at a press conference if this visa liberalisation would change if Turkey joined the EU, Mr Erdogan answered with a quote from the Koran: "Strive for what is right, as it (by God) is commanded."

What exactly are you afraid of?

Surely stronger ties and a sense of common purpose is a good thing.

I've even turned the rest of it into English for you:)

What exactly are you afraid of?

Surely stronger ties and a sense of common purpose is a good thing.

Clue - begins with m, ends with s and has uslim in the middle...............

I don't think it should be anything to worry about. Although most Turkish might identify themselves as Muslim, afaik Turks are also fiercly secular like the French.

Also wouldn't travellers have to meet the visa requirements for each individual country they visit? Like a Syrian might not need a visa for Turkey, but may still need one for here?

Also wouldn't travellers have to meet the visa requirements for each individual country they visit? Like a Syrian might not need a visa for Turkey, but may still need one for here?

Yeah, but you can't let little things like facts get in the way of a good rant about muslims.

Yes, a nation that claims the Armenian genocide wasn't genocide because the slaughter was not bloody enough is not fit to join. The brutality of Turkish gangs operating in north London is repulsive too, do we want more of that ilk free to cross borders unimpaired? I don't think the Turkish government is tearing it's hair out with worry saying "we must stop our scum going to Britain, it's terrible for the UK"

Archived