Train ticket cheekiness!

have a cheeky question..

train fare for a ticket I need has doubled in a day, which is a bummer. The advance ticket is a specific to that train too. however, the fare for the next train , half an hour later, is still at the original price. it is also simply a standard ticket, and does not mention that it needs to be used on that train alone. what are the chances i could get on the earlier train with the ticket for the later, cheaper train, and get away with it?

cheers if anyone can help,

Laura x

have a cheeky question..

train fare for a ticket I need has doubled in a day, which is a bummer. The advance ticket is a specific to that train too. however, the fare for the next train , half an hour later, is still at the original price. it is also simply a standard ticket, and does not mention that it needs to be used on that train alone. what are the chances i could get on the earlier train with the ticket for the later, cheaper train, and get away with it?

Laura x

Not brilliant frankly. Why not just travel half an hour later and not be a cheat and run the risk of an extra charge?

have a cheeky question..

Laura x

I'd risk it. What's the worst that can happen, they throw you off the train? They never throw you off whilst it's moving or between stations :hihi:

I'd risk it. What's the worst that can happen, they throw you off the train? They never throw you off whilst it's moving or between stations :hihi:

That she'll get charged more than she would have done by being honest. Or kicked off the train when it stops.

Chances? Pretty much zero. I'm assuming it's a non-local journey to have cheaper advance fares. They've been really cracking down on them and check on almost every train. If caught you'd have to pay the price of a full walk on fare for that journey, which doubtless is far more expensive than the one that you want.

i'm prob not up for train surfing!

i'm just running late that day - am susposed to be at the venue for 7.30 - first train gets in 7.24, next one 8pm. not a big difference i know - but i don't want to be rude and disruptive being late. jumping from £40 to £80 pounds is a lot tho.

think i will buy later ticket, and ask the inspecter if i can go on the earlier train. bat those eyelashes?! if yes, i will , if not, i'll be another half hour behind. never mind!

It depends on a few things

Which train company is it? If it's east midlands trains, don't even try it, if they ask for a ticket and you don't have one for exactly the right train, you'll have to pay a penalty fare or buy a new ticket. Cross country don't always check tickets, and when they do, most of the time let you buy a ticket on the train. Northern are a bit hit and miss, I find they always check tickets going from sheffield, but not so much coming back and also, don't always check tickets on emptier trains at night.

Is there a barrier at your destination station? If so, make sure you've got the right ticket otherwise you'll either have to pay a penalty, or buy a fresh ticket when you arrive.

Is it a busy train? If so, on the one hand, the conductor may not get to you to check tickets, on the other hand, they may make a concerted effort or have more than one conductor. If it's an empty train, they will get to you quicker, but equally might not bother coming through to check.

So, my advice, don't risk it, get the right ticket, unless you want to buy another or risk a fine.

Archived