Train ticket cheekiness!

I went for a job interview at Derby, when I came to getting the train back I got the wrong one and ended up down south. I explained what happened to the guy on the train and at the station and didn't have to pay any extra.

I guess they saw I genuinely was totally incompetent performing such a complex task as getting on a train, and felt sorry for me.

A girl had done that on the train down to London this weekend, she had got the train that left Sheffield 4 minutes earlier instead of the one on her ticket. They made her get off at Leciester and swop onto the correct train!

I had to ask myself before I got on the train as I thought it was odd two leaving within 4 minutes of each other!

I work on the trains and I'd say don't try it. I know most won't allow it nowadays. You may end up having to buy another full standard fare ticket (with no discount at all).

Going at that time of the day means you're more likely to get it checked too and also less likely to get away with it because it's extremely commomplace now, and the excuses have all been heard.

Oh, and remember the guards are on commission. An extra £80 from you is a nice few quid in their pocket.

Archived