Chilean miners-all 33 rescued! Joy!

We keep being told how important solidarity is as a virtue in the Chilean national consciousness, but the number of complicated family fallouts and tricky marital soap opera storylines rather belies that! :o

The sicker miners are coming up soon, I hope that goes as well as everything else has so far.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but the president used to own a TV station and knows the power of the media and how to work it. I think he's played a blinder, and that's not meant cynically because the rescue operation will have done wonders for the image of the country.

We keep being told how important solidarity is as a virtue in the Chilean national consciousness, but the number of complicated family fallouts and tricky marital soap opera storylines rather belies that! :o

The sicker miners are coming up soon, I hope that goes as well as everything else has so far.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but the president used to own a TV station and knows the power of the media and how to work it. I think he's played a blinder, and that's not meant cynically because the rescue operation will have done wonders for the image of the country.

I heard some report about a wife and mistress being in situ to welcome husband/lover with open arms.

I agree, what an amazing PR opportunity for the President, one which he has seized. I think that if I were hauled out of a mine (the journey up in that capsule in itself would traumatise me) where I'd languished for 69 days with my colleagues, being greeted by Cameron throwing his arms around me would finish me off.

You just now that the person who is going to be the next president is going to be that mining boss that has gained more popularity out of this than the president. I bet you could not get any odds on that bet anywhere.

... I think that if I were hauled out of a mine (the journey up in that capsule in itself would traumatise me) where I'd languished for 69 days with my colleagues, being greeted by Cameron throwing his arms around me would finish me off.
But not all countries are as cynical as the UK is about its leaders and wouldn't relish being greeted and honoured by them?

If something like this had happened in the USA, I think they'd also expect the President to be there welcoming them and deem it an honour. We'll have to wait and see what Sierra says about that though. She might not agree. :D

But not all countries are as cynical as the UK is about its leaders and wouldn't relish being greeted and honoured by them?

If something like this had happened in the USA, I think they'd also expect the President to be there welcoming them and deem it an honour. We'll have to wait and see what Sierra says about that though. She might not agree. :D

Doubt if the president would show up...but imagine being greeted by Hillary :gag:

Archived