Chilean miners-all 33 rescued! Joy!

I've watched most of the rescue...

I stayed watching untill 6am this morning, got 4 hours kip and switched the telly on again at 10am.

Brilliant to see them all out safely.

It's just a pity that the president has decided to spend the last half hour spouting off to a press conference.

He should be there thanking the brave men that risked their lives going down there to perform the rescue.

Typical politician!

I've watched most of the rescue...

I stayed watching untill 6am this morning, got 4 hours kip and switched the telly on again at 10am.

Brilliant to see them all out safely.

It's just a pity that the president has decided to spend the last half hour spouting off to a press conference.

He should be there thanking the brave men that risked their lives going down there to perform the rescue.

Typical politician!

As the first rescue worker hadn't even come to the surface when he was giving his speech, I think he can be forgiven for that. There are several still down there, I'm waiting til the very last man reappears.

I think the president has played an absolute blinder, as I said before (but most people won't have seen it by page 1000). It's not just been about media presentation either - he took charge of the crisis in an executive capacity, and when he made that decision, he was told it was his problem. If it failed, it would be his failure. But it didn't, he's brought his country together over this. It isn't fair to criticise him, this is about as smooth as crisis resolution gets. :)

Well I think the bbc coverage of that event was poop, the translator sounded like microsoft sally, the reporters were erksome rats skuttling around the outside of the pack feeding off crumbs and using restraining techniques to extract a statement from unwitting victims.

The event itself though gets a big thumbs up, well done Chile.

Well I think the bbc coverage of that event was poop, the translator sounded like microsoft sally, the reporters were erksome rats skuttling around the outside of the pack feeding off crumbs and using restraining techniques to extract a statement from unwitting victims.

The event itself though gets a big thumbs up, well done Chile.

Well put. I'm sick of the sight of him, but even moreso of his voice and his spanish! At times I felt he was more interested in showing off his spanish than actually listening to what the people had to say! I thought it was just me being over sensitive! He'll be on a right whack!

So, what's all this about the miner wanting his note back and the president wanting it to go in a museum? It looked a little embarassing for the president. At least the interviewer wasn't pandering to him.

EDIT

Last rescue worker out - he was also first one in. FANTASTIC. :clap::clap:

Doesn't it, though?

And I've been right impressed with the president - for a politician, he seems like a really nice bloke. Unless he was a bloody good actor, he was genuinely happy to see each and every one of those poor buggers.

I agree, he is a very charismatic man and actually admitted it was ultimately the government's responsibility and lessons would be learned. I could not imagine any Western leader being on site like this throughout the duration and greeting each miner in such a manner.

I am just so impressed with the entire operation, the composure of the miners, the rescue team and the conduct of everyone involved. The photo that was taken underground of the rescue team holding up a banner saying 'mission accomplished' when all the miners were safely out was just brilliant.

I managed to stay awake until the last miner reached the surface then conked out, I tried to hang on for the rescue team but just couldn't.:(

Archived