Chilean miners-all 33 rescued! Joy!

don't want to burst anyones bubble but apparently they were fist fights and alot of agro in the first couple of weeks, plus some of the guys had given up of ever being found .they were saying the shift foreman was the one who kept them together splitting them up into groups.wonder how long before the media latches on to this and the finger pointing starts

don't want to burst anyones bubble but apparently they were fist fights and alot of agro in the first couple of weeks, plus some of the guys had given up of ever being found .they were saying the shift foreman was the one who kept them together splitting them up into groups.wonder how long before the media latches on to this and the finger pointing starts

That's totally understandable under the circumstances, it must have been horrific as they were effectively entombed.

All your points apart from the very last were made many times while I watched the rolling coverage of the rescue. It was said time and again that the first 17 days would have been horrendously traumatic, miners themselves later said that it was a battle against hell and the devil, that individual miners really struggled not to crack up, etc. The time underground divided into two very different periods, the dark unknown facing the worst possible fears, followed by a time of routine and schedule with regular contact with family and professionals at the surface and a supply of boring but nutritious food and water. Still an ordeal, but a stark contrast to the horrors pre-discovery. But the contrast was highlighted.

It was also repeatedly stated that the foreman was central to holding things all together, and the amount of attention the president gave him when he emerged made it very clear that his leadership was recognised as vital to the positive outcome.

What's to latch onto? :confused:

No-one would point the finger at anyone if they reacted in the way you suggest during the darkest days. I'm sure the media will in time want to know the juicy details of what happened in the first period, but it would not be a surprise, it just adds to the admiration at the way they succeeded in pulling through and facing down the demons.

I woke up this morning and this story was still in my head, it's astonishing how it's got to people. By people I mean me at least.

How else would anyone have acted in those first few days? Trapped over 2,000 feet down and exisitng on a spoonful of canned Tuna every 48 hours.

The sense of despair must have been unimaginable

All your points apart from the very last were made many times while I watched the rolling coverage of the rescue. It was said time and again that the first 17 days would have been horrendously traumatic, miners themselves later said that it was a battle against hell and the devil, that individual miners really struggled not to crack up, etc. The time underground divided into two very different periods, the dark unknown facing the worst possible fears, followed by a time of routine and schedule with regular contact with family and professionals at the surface and a supply of boring but nutritious food and water. Still an ordeal, but a stark contrast to the horrors pre-discovery. But the contrast was highlighted.

It was also repeatedly stated that the foreman was central to holding things all together, and the amount of attention the president gave him when he emerged made it very clear that his leadership was recognised as vital to the positive outcome.

What's to latch onto? :confused:

No-one would point the finger at anyone if they reacted in the way you suggest during the darkest days. I'm sure the media will in time want to know the juicy details of what happened in the first period, but it would not be a surprise, it just adds to the admiration at the way they succeeded in pulling through and facing down the demons.

I woke up this morning and this story was still in my head, it's astonishing how it's got to people. By people I mean me at least.

How else would anyone have acted in those first few days? Trapped over 2,000 feet down and exisitng on a spoonful of canned Tuna every 48 hours.

The sense of despair must have been unimaginable

Quite. Whilst this is without doubt a real human interest story, it is ultimately one of endurance and triumph over adversity. I defy anyone not to lapse into despair, be gripped with fear and have their temper frayed (at the very least) in those circumstances and that is before you even factor in the hunger, boredom etc. Those first 17 days where they were just waiting to die, must have felt like an absolute eternity.

Like Purdy, I woke up thinking about it this morning and it has certainly got to me. I can't think of a news story that even comes close to matching this one, not in my lifetime.

I would have been a gibbering wreck within minutes of being down that mine, let alone enduring seventy days trapped down there... Particularly during the initial time where they didn't seem to have any hope of rescue.

Thank goodness the people above ground kept faith with them, and managed to get the bore-hole dug to use the rescue cage.

I'm so glad for them and their families that they were rescued.

Archived