Disconnecting gas cooker

No doubt. - But if you're going to replace the bayonet fitting with a cap, aren't you supposed to be a qualified gas fitter?

Given that the OP was unsure of what would happen when the cooker was disconnected, it might be a smart move to have any subsequent modifications done by somebody who is an approved fitter.

I agree, I cannot see where anyone has suggested any different ?

Just bend the gas pipe under the floorboards where it won't get in the way and, as mentioned before .... keep the windows open! :)

Knocking up was all well and good with coal gas, the Carbon Monoxide that we used to burn.

All that would go is poison you slowly, and give you a ruddy complexion, before you died, some time later.

But Methane is not poisonous, it is highly explosive, so knocking up the pipe would probably kill you before you had chance to finish your dinner, by means of blowing you to kingdom come.

Knocking up was all well and good with coal gas, the Carbon Monoxide that we used to burn.

All that would go is poison you slowly, and give you a ruddy complexion, before you died, some time later.

But Methane is not poisonous, it is highly explosive, so knocking up the pipe would probably kill you before you had chance to finish your dinner, by means of blowing you to kingdom come.

Coal gas wasn't carbon monoxide, it just contained a sufficient percentage of carbon monoxide to kill you.

I read recently that modern car engines are so efficient that they don't produce enough carbon monoxide to commit suicide with. So the old hosepipe connected to the exhaust trick isn't going to work any more.

Coal gas wasn't carbon monoxide, it just contained a sufficient percentage of carbon monoxide to kill you.

I read recently that modern car engines are so efficient that they don't produce enough carbon monoxide to commit suicide with. So the old hosepipe connected to the exhaust trick isn't going to work any more.

Coal Gas is CO, you are thinking of town gas, which was an inproved process, involving roasting the coal in the presence of steam, which gave additions of hydrogen and methane.

to gas regulations an bayonet left open ended is classed as at risk, if you leave this in a council property they will charge you for capping it off. we could cap it you off safely and give you a certificate/invoice to show this for your/landlords records. We would charge around £45 for this work.

Wrong! Modern car engines are being designed that only give off hydrogen and oxygen (think you can see where I'm going with this)

Therefore if you attach a hosepipe to the exhaust you'll be able to drown yourself!

Can't understand why people use a hose pipe to gas themselves! Are they stupid? :huh::loopy::)

to gas regulations an bayonet left open ended is classed as at risk, if you leave this in a council property they will charge you for capping it off. we could cap it you off safely and give you a certificate/invoice to show this for your/landlords records. We would charge around £45 for this work.

Daylight robbery.

It is nowt of a job, and can be done in half an hour top side.

Daylight robbery.

It is nowt of a job, and can be done in half an hour top side.

£45 is robbery? :o

Dont think it is. This person is supplying a certificate with this - for which he has to be gas safe approved.. which costs quite abit im led to believe. And has to be renewed every year (i think!) so it adds up. The guys gotta earn somewhere! I think £45 is very reasonable, going rate.

£45 is robbery? :o

Dont think it is. This person is supplying a certificate with this - for which he has to be gas safe approved.. which costs quite abit im led to believe. And has to be renewed every year (i think!) so it adds up. The guys gotta earn somewhere! I think £45 is very reasonable, going rate.

Yes I agree with you.

Pay what you want.

It is up to you.

All they are going to do is shut your gas off, cut the pipe, solder a cap on, test it, and relight your appliances.

20 minutes tops.

Yes I agree with you.

Pay what you want.

It is up to you.

All they are going to do is shut your gas off, cut the pipe, solder a cap on, test it, and relight your appliances.

20 minutes tops.

Be easier just to screw the bayonet bit off the fitting and put a cap in it, test it ect, that way there's less messing about.

How you put it it sure does sound easy. I would just like to break it down a little bit more though.

You have to do a let by test, do a tightness test, put a continuity bond on, remove meter, then cut the pipe, sweat a fitting on, then put the meter back, then do another tightness test, then purge the installation of air, ect.

£45 quid is a fair price I should imagine. ?

Archived