80 hours community service & 12 months probation for torture

No, it does not elevate you at all.

It makes you a killer, and (i assume) an adult killer rather than a child who has tortured someone.

They should go to jail for a decent amount of time btw

It would make you worse than they have ever been. And don't forget that the original post i was responding to also advocated that the judge should also be murdered - not the postings of a sane person, frankly.

My bold.

How exactly?

My bold.

How exactly?

All they did was torture. You're wanting to kill.

Has anybody stopped to ask what purpose would be served by locking up these people? Are they likely to commit the same offence again? Would making them work for the benefit of society not be a more usefl sentence? ...and preferably, a hell of a lot more than 80 hours of it. Have them clearing litter and digging trenches for the next twelve months, and get some of the work done that we can't afford to pay people to do.

My bold.

How exactly?

Say a young shoplifter gets locked up.

When they're inside and they will mix with burglars and muggers. They have the potential to become a far more dangerous criminal by being locked up, rather than their behaviour being nipped in the bud by some sort of community service or meeting the victims of their crime.

Clearly prison has to be an option, but i'm not convinced locking petty criminals up works.

When they're inside and they will mix with burglars and muggers. They have the potential to become a far more dangerous criminal by being locked up, rather than their behaviour being nipped in the bud by some sort of community service or meeting the victims of their crime.

Clearly prison has to be an option, but i'm not convinced locking petty criminals up works.

There must be some figures somewhere comparing recidivist numbers in the two groups ie those that were locked up and those with community orders?

What the people did in the op wasnt petty so really your argument holds no water.

Archived