Outrageous University fees.

I can't believe how much they're wanting for University fees!

It's outragious, not to mention divisive, and I'm amazed students haven't been out on the rampage in protest.

If universities can set their own level of fees, soon some universities will be considered so inferior a degree from them will be worthless anyway.

Where's the quality control? Value for money etc?

Will a student with 5 hours tuition a week have to pay the same as one with 25 hours? Will the top professors be more expensive than lesser tutors? Will research students still be expected to pay?

How many potentially great minds will never get the chance to blossom because thay can't afford to be nurtured in a top University?

This is also going to be the biggest stumbling block to social mobility in my lifetime.

I think it's a disgrace.

This is going to push third level education back in the direction of being the preserve of the rich. Three cheers for Cameron and his Bullingdon Club chums!

Yes it was rather remiss of THE LAST GOVERNMENT to lay down the criteria for raising tuition fees wasn't it. I don't suppose that will stop the loonies for trying to blame it on the current occupant of Downing Street.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6909645.ece

November 9, 2009

Lord Browne of Madingley heads team to look at raising tuition fees

Seven members of the review that will make recommendations on raising the tuition fees charged by universities were appointed today by the Government.

The inquiry team, to be chaired by Lord Browne of Madingley, the former BP chief executive, will have a broad remit to analyse the challenges facing higher education and their implications for student financing and support.

The inquiry will not report until autumn next year, longer than the summer target date originally stated by ministers.

The terms were agreed between Lord Mandelson, the Business Secretary, and the Conservatives, who have made clear they will not be bound by its terms if they win office but want a thorough inquiry to inform policy decisions.

The point is that only the children of the rich will be able to train for these highly paid professions, closing down an avenue of social mobility as well as denying the poorer sections of society entry into higher education.

Universities will be basing their quality on their fees, rather than vice versa.

Yes it was rather remiss of THE LAST GOVERNMENT to lay down the criteria for raising tuition fees wasn't it. I don't suppose that will stop the loonies for trying to blame it on the current occupant of Downing Street.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6909645.ece

November 9, 2009

Lord Browne of Madingley heads team to look at raising tuition fees

Seven members of the review that will make recommendations on raising the tuition fees charged by universities were appointed today by the Government.

The inquiry team, to be chaired by Lord Browne of Madingley, the former BP chief executive, will have a broad remit to analyse the challenges facing higher education and their implications for student financing and support.

The inquiry will not report until autumn next year, longer than the summer target date originally stated by ministers.

The terms were agreed between Lord Mandelson, the Business Secretary, and the Conservatives, who have made clear they will not be bound by its terms if they win office but want a thorough inquiry to inform policy decisions.

There's a big dfifference between raising tuition fees and abolishing all caps on charges whatsoever. Having the basic intelligence to work that out hardly makes me a loony.

The point is that only the children of the rich will be able to train for these highly paid professions, closing down an avenue of social mobility as well as denying the poorer sections of society entry into higher education.

Universities will be basing their quality on their fees, rather than vice versa.

Tuition fees as introduced by our very own David Blunkett when he was in the cabinet in 1998.

There's a big dfifference between raising tuition fees and abolishing all caps on charges whatsoever. Having the basic intelligence to work that out hardly makes me a loony.

So what do you think of university tuition fees being introduced by a Labour Government in 1998. The introduction of top up fees introduced by a Labour Government in 2004 and a new round of fee increases recomended by a body set up by a Labour Government in 2009 with a view to increasing tuition fees?

They won't have to pay it back until they earn more than £15k and then only a little. If they are clever how does it stop them?

Why should today's binmen, pay for tomorrow's accountants?

Archived