Outrageous University fees.

What about someone who dedicates their life to charity? A lawyer fighting for the small guy, per se.

Then there is the chance that a person can become sick or disabled and they still owe money? Would you be the friendly bailiff who knocks on the door to take their stuff? A lifelong student debt cannot always pass from start to finale with an unbroken income stream.

I don't know what happens in the case of people (mostly women) who take career breaks to raise a family, whether they continue to accrue interest or the time out contributes towards the 25 year cut off point for repayment.

What about someone who dedicates their life to charity? A lawyer fighting for the small guy, per se.

Then there is the chance that a person can become sick or disabled and they still owe money? Would you be the friendly bailiff who knocks on the door to take their stuff? A lifelong student debt cannot always pass from start to finale with an unbroken income stream.

As I see it( flawed I know), someone goes to University to get a qualification that assists them to get a job or of course to further their personal development.

To take something that is not free for your own benefit and then not pay back for that is in my view wrong. I can see that people may fall on hard times, have the intention to pay and then due to their circumstances may not be able to do the job that they intended( the same applies to those who loose their job through no fault of their own and have to then depend on the state and claim benefits), but I think there should be an intention to pay back, otherwise you will have the situation where the system becomes exploited as has happened in the current benefit system.

Or you can get the situation where someone gets a degree,gets a low paid job that is not too difficult and earns enough to pay their way but doesnt aspire to get a better paid job. 25 years goes by quickly. It is the same term as (usually) one would have a mortgage over. You wouldnt like to write off mortgage debt would you?

You make a good point. However really aside from medicine, law, engineering, science and a couple of other things why do you need to go to uni anyway? Most jobs can be learnt or taught on the job with day release anyway
Too true! People need to get away from this Uni mindset.Great Britain was built with only a hand full going to universities in the past.Most do not question their real need to go to Uni!..........the truth is there is no real need for most.Most jobs are learnt on the job and it has always been so.Uni has become big business in UK and I would be very wary taking advice from the many with a vested interest who are profiting from further education.

University education for all, is a daft concept and a bubble waiting to burst, higher tuition fees which I totally agree with maybe the pin that pricks the bubble!...............Britain will not make economic recovery by expanding University education,the reverse would be better.

I don't know what happens in the case of people (mostly women) who take career breaks to raise a family, whether they continue to accrue interest or the time out contributes towards the 25 year cut off point for repayment.

They will get charged the interest on what they owe I assume.

As I see it( flawed I know), someone goes to University to get a qualification that assists them to get a job or of course to further their personal development.

To take something that is not free for your own benefit and then not pay back for that is in my view wrong. I can see that people may fall on hard times, have the intention to pay and then due to their circumstances may not be able to do the job that they intended( the same applies to those who loose their job through no fault of their own and have to then depend on the state and claim benefits), but I think there should be an intention to pay back, otherwise you will have the situation where the system becomes exploited as has happened in the current benefit system.

Or you can get the situation where someone gets a degree,gets a low paid job that is not too difficult and earns enough to pay their way but doesnt aspire to get a better paid job. 25 years goes by quickly. It is the same term as (usually) one would have a mortgage over. You wouldnt like to write off mortgage debt would you?

But what if the (relatively) low paid job is a gp in a poor area. He/she will be on a lower wage than his private well off area counterpart but his/her job is more worthy of the taxpayer contributing.

Ps the real issue there is that someone doing a job that is not too difficult shouldnt be going to Uni at all. Its not really a question of whether they pay it back in full.

But what if the (relatively) low paid job is a gp in a poor area. He/she will be on a lower wage than his private well off area counterpart but his/her job is more worthy of the taxpayer contributing.

Show me a GP who earns less than 21K and I will listen to that argument.

So if they decided to have 4 kids and not go back to work, who would pick up the tab then?

again thats a different issue, they should be working but thats a benefit issue not a student loan issue.

Or do you expect their benefits to include a student loans payment-that wouldnt really solve either problem.

Archived