Outrageous University fees.

Condensing it.

It didn't really bother me as I just went back to work. My course was a fixed four year one because I was a part time student, but I could have easily done it in two, but they simply wouldn't let me.

It wasn't a timetabling issue, I could have easily made all the other lectures, I just wasn't allowed to do more than 2 modules a semester.

And when the modules were running that I didn't have to take and got instant credit (life / work experience) I couldn't do any of the others I was due to take the following semester - I had to just not go in! It was very frustrating.

Anyway, I had full time pals on the same course. When we left at 10.30 I asked what they were going to do and they just went down to the student union or back to bed!

My point exactly.

It is un productive and doesnt set them up to work in the world of work.

Surely this could be looked at to save costs.Well in some subjects anyway.

Is it so great to have so much time on your hands? Even from a student point of view?

Maybe I am living on another planet. I get this feeling a lot though so its not unusual for me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/03/does_the_uk_need_less_graduate.html

Interesting article, though it is a bit out of date.

I agree with the post that said. Who will benefit the country more. A 100 media studies graduates, or 100 plumbers?

Speaking from a person who is often in need of a plumber and knowing what the cost of getting a good one is, I know what my response would be to that one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/03/does_the_uk_need_less_graduate.html

Interesting article, though it is a bit out of date.

I agree with the post that said. Who will benefit the country more. A 100 media studies graduates, or 100 plumbers?

Speaking from a person who is often in need of a plumber and knowing what the cost of getting a good one is, I know what my response would be to that one.

no qualms on that-again "down with media studies". I think we need far fewer graduates in all subjects. Arts subjects should be really selective as there is a far lower need for graduates in arts than sciences. Apprenticeships should be massively increased and vocational subjects like nursing should be taught from a vocational perspective. A nurse does not need to be able to write essays on nursing!!!

Also there shouldnt be a barrier to working you way up in a company and less graduates should be put in management positions whilst having no knowledge of the bottom of the company.....

dont you just love your own abstract imaginary world, where everything you say goes!

that would of course solve everything but it aint gonna happen!

Problem with that theory is that more and more and more people are going to university in other countries.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/britain-slipping-down-world-league-table-of-university-attendance-415761.html

These are the countries which we are actively competing with for investment. Investment will go to countries with highly skilled workforces, as employers will not want to spend money on training when they have a ready made solution in front of them.

Problem with that theory is that more and more and more people are going to university in other countries.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/britain-slipping-down-world-league-table-of-university-attendance-415761.html

These are the countries which we are actively competing with for investment. Investment will go to countries with highly skilled workforces, as employers will not want to spend money on training when they have a ready made solution in front of them.

thats partly why it aint gonna happen.

Why dont we just give everyone a degree certificate when they leave school then noone will be in debt!

no qualms on that-again "down with media studies". I think we need far fewer graduates in all subjects. Arts subjects should be really selective as there is a far lower need for graduates in arts than sciences. Apprenticeships should be massively increased and vocational subjects like nursing should be taught from a vocational perspective. A nurse does not need to be able to write essays on nursing!!!

Also there shouldnt be a barrier to working you way up in a company and less graduates should be put in management positions whilst having no knowledge of the bottom of the company.....

dont you just lover your own abstract imaginary world, where everything you say goes!

But it isnt utopia. It is after all possible.Just needs a seismic shift in the way people think.

Yeah, History, Literature, Art and Music all add bugger all to society.
If you can demonstrate that the leading contributors to the popular music scene as well as our current artists and writers had to be degree-qualified before they could pick up their guitars/pens/paintbrushes, then your sarcasm might be apt.

because they do a hell of a lot of work between those hours (or they should).

Arrghhhh degrees are not school you do most of your learning outside of lectures and tutorials.

Agreed. Certainly in arts and humanities, the contact time is basically an introduction to the subject/aspect/issue/topic/theme etc and the rest of the time should be devoted to self directed learning. One of the main purposes of a degree is to create an independent learner. Seminars and tutorials are there to further explore a particular aspect and have a good discussion, usually based on some research/self-directed study that the student has undergone.

A dissertation module is not 'taught', that is carried out by independent study and research, which should be the culmination of an Honours degree.

Archived