Outrageous University fees.

when I was at the university, the concept of employability did not feature, whereas now, it seems to have become the sole raison d'etre.

Most people have fees to pay back now, they need a job to do that, not many people can afford to go to university just for fun thesedays.

Most people have fees to pay back now, they need a job to do that, not many people can afford to go to university just for fun thesedays.

I'm not sure that many people in the past went for fun, it was a progression in their education and 'having fun' was just part of that process and an aspect of the student experience.

Might that have been course-specific?

Condensing 'options' exist and have existed for a while.

I just posted a reply in llamatron's other uni-related thread. In my case, I only needed a degree as a qualification to which potential employers could relate and match a salary aspiration (most could not relate to my foreign qualifications). In the end, I did a 4 year sandwich business-related BA at Sheff Hallam, joining straight in year 2 (on back of foreign qualifications) and jumping straight in year 4 (on back of professional experience). That was in the mid-90s.

Certainly there have been discussions about truncating the standard 3 year degree into a 2 year one, which may be a way forward for some. Alternatively, the part-time route may be the only option for some as they'll need to work to fund their study.

But you really dont notice the debt, the pay comes out of your wages before tax and whatever wage you are on you pay such a small amount per month that it means nothing. I think you will start paying it when you are on 21000 (quite a good wage) and it will be £30 per month (before tax). Its nothing.

It must feel like a millstone around one's neck, regardless if it's deducted at source or not.

It must feel like a millstone around one's neck, regardless if it's deducted at source or not.

nope I dont care at all. It can come out of my wages forever its a tiny untaxed amount. I dont even know how much I owe. I think its between 15 and 20k. I have thought about asking to pay more per month to pay it off faster but then decided that there is not point as it really doesnt bother me in anyway.

I am of the opinion that this is what our government (past and present) wants education to be. An endless bill sent to us through our working lives that says "you still owe us, get back to work".

nope I dont care at all. It can come out of my wages forever its a tiny untaxed amount.

I don't know how much you owe, however, if assuming that the Russell Group will charge the full £12k, as they can and add to that the maintenance etc etc, some students could leave with debts of £50k.:o

I don't know how much you owe, however, if assuming that the Russell Group will charge the full £12k, as they can and add to that the maintenance etc etc, some students could leave with debts of £50k.:o

sorry I edited it whilst you were replying:hihi: but if you owe £50k and get paid £21k per year paying back £30 a month its still nothing. The debt will then get written off after 25 years and if you lose your job you will stop paying it until you get another.

[...] paying back £30 a month its still nothing. The debt will then get written off after 25 years

They will write off a £50,000 debt?

£30 a month for 25 years is £9000, not factoring in interest. Will the people lending this money (the student loan companies) be willing to lend so much for a £41,000 loss? It sounds odd to me.

Archived