Todays Teenagers

Was reading a few threads on here and not commenting, as you do, and really its a bit disheartening to read about the way todays teenagers are viewed. They seem to be regarded as useless, feckless, reckless, irresponsible, binge drinking, drug taking, shifty, lazy, violent reprobates (i'm exaggerating, obviously) by some people.

I think thats a bit sad.

Being a teen is the most exciting part of life. The things you learn and experience stay with you a long time. Your enthusiasm and energy and curiosity help shape you into the person you are and its also the time you shake of childish expectations and realise that the world - while not fair - is full of opportunity if you are prepared to take it or work for it.

Now its also the time when you can be insufferable and a nightmare and do stupid things like wail that nobody understands you and make every little molehill a mountain. But by and large everything tends to turn out ok.

Now, I see the current crop of teenagers and they don't seem all that different to when I was a teen. Sure, some are useless now and will grow up to be useless, some are foolish, some have misguided priorities, some are stupid and some are seemingly perfect. They are experimenting with their own cleverness, the rules, booze and drugs and fags and authority. Sometimes they get into trouble, aren't very good at understanding adults, develop unhealthy passions for music and other things but generally are a decent lot. If you don't patronise them they seem ok, mostly they are loud and boisterous and puppy like but mainly they are doing what they need to do and while cheeky are - in the main - pretty well behaved, polite, decent, honest and will grow up to be useful members or society and mostly will be interesting and house trained. So why the negativity toward them? Think back to when you were a teen, you were probably horrible like me. But we did ok. Cut the teens a break a little, they're doing their best.

Was reading a few threads on here and not commenting, as you do, and really its a bit disheartening to read about the way todays teenagers are viewed. They seem to be regarded as useless, feckless, reckless, irresponsible, binge drinking, drug taking, shifty, lazy, violent reprobates (i'm exaggerating, obviously) by some people.

I think thats a bit sad.

Being a teen is the most exciting part of life. The things you learn and experience stay with you a long time. Your enthusiasm and energy and curiosity help shape you into the person you are and its also the time you shake of childish expectations and realise that the world - while not fair - is full of opportunity if you are prepared to take it or work for it.

Now its also the time when you can be insufferable and a nightmare and do stupid things like wail that nobody understands you and make every little molehill a mountain. But by and large everything tends to turn out ok.

Now, I see the current crop of teenagers and they don't seem all that different to when I was a teen. Sure, some are useless now and will grow up to be useless, some are foolish, some have misguided priorities, some are stupid and some are seemingly perfect. They are experimenting with their own cleverness, the rules, booze and drugs and fags and authority. Sometimes they get into trouble, aren't very good at understanding adults, develop unhealthy passions for music and other things but generally are a decent lot. If you don't patronise them they seem ok, mostly they are loud and boisterous and puppy like but mainly they are doing what they need to do and while cheeky are - in the main - pretty well behaved, polite, decent, honest and will grow up to be useful members or society and mostly will be interesting and house trained. So why the negativity toward them? Think back to when you were a teen, you were probably horrible like me. But we did ok. Cut the teens a break a little, they're doing their best.

^^^What he said.

Apart from the bit about teen years being exciting- I hated them and couldn't wait for them to end.

I agree in the majority of cases.

When I was a teenager it was easy to walk straight out of school into a job. Now quite a few teenagers haven't had a parent who's ever worked - and perhaps a grandparent who's worked. These are the ones I worry about.

Archived