Discussions re God

I know there has been lots of "discussions" on here about God and I saw this interesting tweet on Twitter tonight, which I thought summed it up nicely.

For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.

I know there has been lots of "discussions" on here about God and I saw this interesting tweet on Twitter tonight, which I thought summed it up nicely.

For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.

That's a quote about Derren Brown isn't it?! :)

(I know it's a quote he stole, don't worry - it's certainly old).

And for those of us who have an open mind? We have yet to see the proof.

That quote would condemn you to forever being a nonbeliever, since it argues that you must first decide you believe in (God,Allah,Thor,Vishnu,Derren Brown or whomever), and then once you do believe, you will no longer ask to see any proof.

It's basically an admittance that an argument is void of any content, whenever someone resorts to a quote like this.

And for those of us who have an open mind? We have yet to see the proof.

I'm with you. As a reasoned, open-minded person, I'm willing to believe (or at least see what all the fuss is), so long as someone can give me proof.

Yet all anyone can do is explain their loving personal commitment to X, which, to me, just seems like they're deluding themselves.

I'm with you. As a reasoned, open-minded person, I'm willing to believe (or at least see what all the fuss is), so long as someone can give me proof.

Yet all anyone can do is explain their loving personal commitment to X, which, to me, just seems like they're deluding themselves.

What he said^^^^^

I construct theories based on what evidence or understanding I have of a situation. Some things I take on trust (like Australia, I have never seen it personally). As more evidence becomes available or views change, so can my theory.

If someone makes an assertion that challenges my theories, I ask for some evidence to support that assertion. If they quote a scientific article, I ask when it was peer reviewed.

There are a few things I 'know' as fact. Here are two of them. Life on earth evolved. There is no god.

If you believe there is a God and if you believe that God will be there for you for all eternity, you can't be wrong.

If you don't believe in God, you could be wrong.

The logic is simple.

That's one bizarre definition of logic. It's fine up to the point where you say "you can't be wrong".

There's no proof there is a god, therefore, either god exists or it does not...

So you've only got a 50/50 chance of being right.

Archived