Discussions re God

I know there has been lots of "discussions" on here about God and I saw this interesting tweet on Twitter tonight, which I thought summed it up nicely.

For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.

i'm not a religious person at all, far from it, however i do believe there is something out there a greater being that did put us on this plant for a reason, and that greater being people refer to as GOD. i sure dont believe the bible for 1 minute, religion is provided to us to give us a direct in life, i've done fine out of live without believing

God = Yes but not as we know it

• 1 year later...
If you believe there is a God and if you believe that God will be there for you for all eternity, you can't be wrong.If you don't believe in God, you could be wrong.

The logic is simple.

Unless the god turns out to be Vishnu, Zeus, Ra, Xenu, Odin, etc...

Also, if there is no God (most likely), then you can be wrong.

If you believe there is a God and if you believe that God will be there for you for all eternity, you can't be wrong.

If you don't believe in God, you could be wrong.

The logic is simple.

Do you know anyone who has come back from the dead and brought proof with them that there is a God?

More accurately

For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible, because it is logically impossible to prove a negative.

But really, there is lots of evidence that god doesn't exist, and none that it does.

What on earth are you one about, you can prove a negative, the law of non-contradiction in logic is a provable negative. Also with double negation pretty much anything can be expressed a negative.

To save time, can you prove that you aren’t nonexistent. When you have done so - Kudos... you’ve just proven a negative.

edit, also just seen how old this thread is, people stop digging up the past.

Do you know anyone who has come back from the dead and brought proof with them that there is a God?

I don't have to.

There are 2 possibilities:

1. There is a God and there is a life after death.

2. There is no God and when you die, that's it. You're dead.

Consider two people, 1 of whom believes there is a god who will look after him for all eternity, the other who believes there is no God, when you're dead, you're dead and that's it.

They both die.

If there is a God, the one who believed in a life after death won't be surprised. He was right. - though the other guy is in for a surprise. He was wrong.

If there is no God, then 'all eternity' becomes - for the people who've just died - a finite point and they've just reached that point. The one who believed God will look after him for all eternity was correct. 'All eternity' came to an end (for him) at the instant of his death. - He won't be sitting there saying "I wonder where God is? ...Perhaps I was wrong? " because if there is no God, he's just dead.

The other one - the one who believed there was no God - would also be right, but he wouldn't know he was right. He will, after all, be dead, so he won't be crowing about being right.

I don't have to.

There are 2 possibilities:

1. There is a God and there is a life after death.

2. There is no God and when you die, that's it. You're dead.

Nope, there are two other possibilities:

3. There is a god, but no life after death.

4. There is no god, but there is life after death.

Consider two people, 1 of whom believes there is a god who will look after him for all eternity, the other who believes there is no God, when you're dead, you're dead and that's it.

They both die.

If there is a God, the one who believed in a life after death won't be surprised. He was right. - though the other guy is in for a surprise. He was wrong.

If there is no God, then 'all eternity' becomes - for the people who've just died - a finite point and they've just reached that point. The one who believed God will look after him for all eternity was correct. 'All eternity' came to an end (for him) at the instant of his death. - He won't be sitting there saying "I wonder where God is? ...Perhaps I was wrong? " because if there is no God, he's just dead.

No, he would still be wrong, because god would never have been looking after him. The fact that he wouldn't know that he was wrong doesn't change the fact that he was wrong.

Also, you are defining 'all eternity' differently to religious people, who clearly do not mean 'the rest of my life', so you're wrong for two reasons.

If this thread has demonstrated anything, it's that we all miss Grahame.

Some of us really don't. I think the religion threads are much better without him.

They may not go on for as long, but that's only because they don't repeat themselves over and over again so much.

Archived