Broken Manifesto Promises

Is there any point in political parties publishing manifestos any more?

In recent weeks the Tories have broken their promise not to abolish universal child benefit and have failed to implement their 'green energy tariff' supplement promised in their manifesto.

The Lib Dems have reneged on their promises not to increase to increase top up fees and not to put up VAT.

I don't particularity see this as political debate as i'm sure the Labour party have done the same thing on occasions too.

All the parties knew the state on the economy when writing their manifestos, so is it right they can promise something to get into power, then rip it up before our very eyes once they get in? I voted Lib Dem partially at least because of their stance on tuition fees, which I know was one of their major selling points to many students aswell.

Isn't it time that manifestos become legally binding?

Is there any point in political parties publishing manifestos any more?

In recent weeks the Tories have broken their promise not to abolish universal child benefit and have failed to implement their 'green energy tariff' supplement promised in their manifesto.

The Lib Dems have reneged on their promises not to increase to increase top up fees and not to put up VAT.

I don't particularity see this as political debate as i'm sure the Labour party have done the same thing on occasions too.

All the parties knew the state on the economy when writing their manifestos, so is it right they can promise something to get into power, then rip it up before our very eyes once they get in? I voted Lib Dem partially at least because of their stance on tuition fees, which I know was one of their major selling points to many students aswell.

Isn't it time that manifestos become legally binding?

It certainly is - glad to hear someone else say what I've said many times.

This also leads, when a party leader breaks a manifesto promise, to the question of - shouldn't MP's show loyalty to the voters who voted them into office rather than to the leader of their party.

I have always regarded the party whip system to be wrong and against the interests of the voters. We voted them in to represent US, not the leader.

Apparently some people still have not realised that what we have is a coalition government, not a single party.

Consequently, neither of the two parties in that coalition gets to implement the whole of its manifesto, and both of them have to abandon parts of it.

It's not just about the Con-Dems - I've heard political parties breaking promises for the last 50 years.

New Labour's referendum on Europe is just one of them.

If we don't get what they promise, and what we voted for, then why vote?

May just as well let them pick a winner out of the hat.

Apparently some people still have not realised that what we have is a coalition government, not a single party.

Consequently, neither of the two parties in that coalition gets to implement the whole of its manifesto, and both of them have to abandon parts of it.

Nice try but remind us please. What have the LibDems managed to hang on to? I can lend you a postage stamp - you can write your answer on the back.

Manifestos are only examples of the type of policy and direction which the political party would go given enough support. They are not and have never been a solemn promise of what they will definitely do in power.

In the case of the current government neither party in power, won enough support to allow them to bring into practice the themes of their respective manifestos.

So they both had to take the view that they lost, their manifestos were rejected and effectively they formed a new manifesto in the discussions to make a coalition government, taking parts from each party so they could work together.

Unfortunately the people who have missed out are those who voted tactically to "keep a party out" because that only works if there is a clear winner.

Archived