Nightmares and insomnia

Please can anyone help as this is beginning to get me down.

Three or four times a week i am awoken by the most horrendous nightmares then cannot get back to sleep and lie awake waiting for daybreak.

I know what the dreams are about about because i hve been having them for the last 15 years but just recently it seems to be every night.

Sometimes i wake up physically crying and every sudden movement makes me jump.

I feel like i am walking around in daze most of the time because of lack of sleep and by nine o clock i am knackered(which is not good for the social life :hihi:)

I do not want to become reliant on sleeping pills and just wondered if any of you have had insomnia caused by nightmares and what you did to overcome it.

I do have insomnia but not caused by nightmares, fortunately.

Have you ever tried hypnosis?

Yeah, a few times but unfortunately it did not work. My theapist even went as far as to describe me as an enigma :hihi:

I know why the dream are coming but i cant stop them and once i am awake i am wide awake if you know what i mean.

It wouldnt be so bad if i woke up and i was still sleepy so at least i could just relax but my brain jumps into hyperdrive as soon as i wake :(

Its really doing my head in now

If you know why the dreams are coming, can't you try and change the circumstances that make them come, or try and change how you react and view those circumstances in the day, in the hope that it effects the dreams themselves? I guess this has been attempted?

It has, many times over the years :(

The dreams stem from an incredibly traumatic experiance in which i nealy lost my life so i cannot change that and in the cold light of day it seems ridiculous to even be having them as i know that the same situation could never be repeated but once night fall comes and its dark and i am alone then it all begins again.

I have tried everything but they still sodding come.

:(

I know this sounds stupid but....have you thought about, creating a planned positive reaction to your nightmare, instead of the negative one you always have, where you wake up terrified and can't sleep? I mean something like, having loads of things to hand when you wake up, like a glass of bubbly, some beautiful photos, objects, that mean a lot to you, pictures of scenes that you love, and even a song ready on a cd player, or a favourite film on dvd, and some of your favourite nibbles (chocolates, or whatever) and in spite of all your feelings, enjoy all these things, in your celebration of the fact that the nightmare has led to your celebration that you are still here, where the focus is on staying awake and enjoying your celebration instead of battling against the odds and trying to get to sleep?

And, if they're getting worse, what is that you're doing differently during waking hours, that might be affecting them?

I know this sounds stupid but....have you thought about, creating a planned positive reaction to your nightmare, instead of the negative one you always have, where you wake up terrified and can't sleep? I mean something like, having loads of things to hand when you wake up, like a glass of bubbly, some beautiful photos, objects, that mean a lot to you, pictures of scenes that you love, and even a song ready on a cd player, or a favourite film on dvd, and some of your favourite nibbles (chocolates, or whatever) and in spite of all your feelings, enjoy all these things, in your celebration of the fact that the nightmare has led to your celebration that you are still here, where the focus is on staying awake and enjoying your celebration instead of battling against the odds and trying to get to sleep?

And, if they're getting worse, what is that you're doing differently during waking hours, that might be affecting them?

Thats a fantastic idea :)

will try that for tonight, i dont think i am doing anything different to what i normally do but i have been under increasing pressure lately so maybe thats it :(

will try that for tonight, i dont think i am doing anything different to what i normally do but i have been under increasing pressure lately so maybe thats it :(

I find, diet, water intake, alcohol intake, exercise, and getting out in the fresh air affect me quite a bit.

I am really hoping that it will work, - really try to push the boat out and make a celebration of it, treat yourself.:)

Archived