Is homosexual a derogatory term?

it does depend on the context of the comment. I could use the term "dyke" at you in an affectionate way, as a friend, and that would be fine, just banter between mates. (I call my best friend "chuffnut" in an affectionate, non-threatening manner, she just comes back at me with "yeah, yeah, owt you say, wobblegob!")

But if I came at you (whether as a friend or not) and started using the term "dyke" in an abusive, threatening manner, that would be a totally different.

If a mate has that sort of exchange with you, no harm done, but if I heard someone using the term to abuse you, then I would take issue about that, as no-one has the right to be abusive.

My ex's best mate, whom he grew up next door to, in Darnall, was English born of Pakistani parents. He was ex's best man when ex married his first wife.

Ex will jokingly greet Izzy with the banter "Bluddi-hell, haven't they deported thee yet?" to which Izzy replies "Ahhh shurrup, or I'll come and live next door to thee!".

Now to an outsider, that exchange would raise eyebrows, but because both blokes are so comfortable with each other, and "in on the joke" so to speak, it's harmless banter between them.

Yeah im exactly like that with my friends.

The friends that give me friendly banter are the people i came out to first, So they used to make jokes sayin "If you don't shuttup im telling ya mum your a rug muncher"

I would just turn round and make a joke about them being straight.

So my point still stands. It depends what way terms are used and who they$ are used by

Yeah im exactly like that with my friends.

The friends that give me friendly banter are the people i came out to first, So they used to make jokes sayin "If you don't shuttup im telling ya mum your a rug muncher"

I would just turn round and make a joke about them being straight.

So my point still stands. It depends what way terms are used and who they$ are used by

Even in friendly banter, don't you still get an underlying feeling of being reminded that somehow your sexuality is seen as something different/odd?

If a "friend" light heartedly called you a name it actually indicates that that person has underlying issues even if you only perceive it as light hearted. Isn't it more about overlooking because you see them as friends hence you tolerate it more?

Even in friendly banter, don't you still get an underlying feeling of being reminded that somehow your sexuality is seen as something different/odd?

If a "friend" light heartedly called you a name it actually indicates that that person has underlying issues even if you only perceive it as light hearted. Isn't it more about overlooking because you see them as friends hence you tolerate it more?

Not when most of the people that say it are bisexual or curious.

My best friend (who makes the comments) Is also my ex girlfriend. So we both make digs at eachother.

Both my cousin And uncle are homosexual. And we all make Jokes about eachothers sexuality. Because we find it funny and harmless.

I have come across people who yes made jokes but were implying they did not like my sexuality. But if people can't accept that its a part of me then i do not need them in my life.

Try growing another foot...straight over ;)

My what a devastating rebuttal :roll:

Homosexual is not a derogatory term, as others have said it is the correct term unlike 'Gay' which was a perfectly normal word that has now been hijacked by missuse and these days is sadly very rarely used in its proper context.

Evidence that the term gay was "hijacked" please. Also how do you determine what a words "proper" context is?

Of course, I know and have worked with homosexuals for whom I have had significant professional respect. They acted in a 'normal' fashion, and were good at what they did, which for me was all that was required for them to prove that they were no different to me or anybody else. Their private habits were private, which they didn't broadcast and I didn't pursue - any more than I would into heterosexual people's privacy.

My point is that the overt displays, often I suspect designed to nauseate heterosexuals, only damage the reputation of homosexuals in general.

So when my wife and I "overtly display" our sexuality by for example holding hands or putting or linking our arms is that "designed to nauseate homosexuals" or does this peace of anti logic only apply to homosexuals?

My point is that the overt displays, often I suspect designed to nauseate heterosexuals, only damage the reputation of homosexuals in general.

I'm sure straight people only hold hands and kiss in public to nauseate me.

I'm sure straight people only hold hands and kiss in public to nauseate me.

Well I'm not sure about the rest of us but a desire to nauseate homosexuals was certainly the only reason why I ever flirted with, touched, danced with, kissed... a woman in public. In fact In only really got married so I could invite the homosexuals I was friends with and make them endure a whole day of nausea.

I really can't see any reason other than a desire to nauseate others for anyone in any way publicly display their sexuality. I mean it's not as if holding hands with, kissing your significant other is in any way inherently pleasurable or anything is it?

Ex will jokingly greet Izzy with the banter "Bluddi-hell, haven't they deported thee yet?" to which Izzy replies "Ahhh shurrup, or I'll come and live next door to thee!".

40 years ago when I was a resident musician the evenings entertainer was the late great 'Charlie Williams' he cracked more or less the same joke.

Archived