Is homosexual a derogatory term?

I think that whether one term or another is seen as derogatory, neutral or acceptable will really depend on the individual concerned, in the same way as it is with people generally.

I have disabilities, but I don't like being described as 'disabled' because that writes all of me off, when most of me is just fine thank you. My back and my arm are disabled, but the rest of me just has disabilities. I'm also not 'invalid'.

I bought a car off a guy and he is always flirting with me when I go in his establishment... (etc etc snipped) .... Just my opinion!
What does all that have to do with the op?

I'd consider 'homosexual' to be the official, medical type term, neutral in any connotion, but that the usual everyday term today would be 'gay'?

I can't believe that someone would start such a pointless thread at 04:31 in the morning. Some people are just ridiclously PC.

Maybe the OP was up at that time because he was watching the Chilean miners being freed like probably half the population! I was up at that time (all night), and on my comp during the ten minute waits. :)

I can't believe that someone would start such a pointless thread at 04:31 in the morning. Some people are just ridiclously PC.

I think you've misunderstood the OP entirely, he's subtly trying to incite homophobia, under the guise of seemingly innocent questions.

A real nasty piece of work, but PC, he is not.

Of course homosexuality isn't a dirty word, but KamalJoe would like us to consider the possibility that it should be, he just hasn't got the balls to say so because he's a coward.

I think you've misunderstood the OP entirely, he's subtly trying to incite homophobia, under the guise of seemingly innocent questions. A real nasty piece of work, but PC, he is not.

Of course homosexuality isn't a dirty word, but KamalJoe would like us to consider the possibility that it should be, he just hasn't got the balls to say so because he's a coward.

Well spotted flamingjimmy. I hadn't actually takin in who the OP was. I think you're probably right. :)

KamalJoe pwned!

I wonder why Homosexuals get upset when the names shortened to Homo though :huh:

It isn't what the word means or it's dictionary definition. Homo has been used as a derogatory term for years. So much so that even when used on it's own it is now seen by many as a derogatory term due to it's usage history.

Archived