Cake decorators who will ice cake I have baked

Hi all,

as above. My wedding isn't until Summer 2012, but I am just trying to plan out my budget. Frankly many cake places charge prices that are just too much for me for what I want, and I do begrudge paying someone to bake a fruit cake when I know my own is really good.

I am looking for a 3 tier round cake , probably 2 fruit and a sponge layer. I am less bothered about baking the sponge layer myself, I can but it basically comes down to cost.

Having done a reasonable amount of cake decorating myself I can understand why people might not want to decorate other people's cake, but thought it was worth askign the question!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

The cost of a wedding cake isn’t the actual cake, its the time and skill that has to go into the decorating, my partner has a small business making bespoke and sculpted cakes. She make a 46 inch (nearly 4 foot) across cake for a friends wedding which had a castle (about 2 ½ - 3 ft) on a mound with a moat, tree, figures scattered about and which also lit up with flickering lights.

The actual cake part was the cheap bit but over 100 hours went into making it in it’s the entirety.

When I think of weddings theres always three things people check up on, the dress, the rings and the cake.

My best recommendation is to not ask for a wedding cake (which cost more because they have to have a perfect finish) but to have a novelty cake that represents something important to your lives. I saw an article a while ago about a couple who cut a giant tub of marmite.

Where ever you got for your cake remember that lots of places charge a higher cost for a wedding cake because they can get away with it, not because they make the extra effort to make it perfect.

Im happy to pass on my partners details but dont want this to become a free for all advert thread.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments, the thing is I don't want a novelty cake.

I appreciate where some of the high costs come in, I do some cake decorating myself and am well aware how time consuming it is and what skill is required to do some of the very intricate work. However what really galls me is the massive prices quoted for wedding cakes (and I don't want one that is especially intricate) when the cake inside is terrible.

I was at a fair recently and tried a sample cake from one local large cake provider and it was quite possibly the worst fruit cake I have ever eaten.

If I can reduce the costs at all by baking the cake myself and knowing that it will be fantastic to eat (my fruit cake is the bomb btw!) I would ratehr do that.

If it comes to it then I may end up just having it all fruit rather than a sponge tier and decorating it myself, but I'd rather not have the stress in the run up to the day!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments. Really I just want someone to ice it - I think I will have enough on to not have the stress of doing my own cake, however far in advance. Its not really a capability thing, but the fact that I am not professional at it, and it is a stressful thing to be doing, especially when you are as perfectionist about the day as I am.

I just object to paying so much for bad cake!

If you haven't already found someone, You could try the 'Cake Booth' in Eckington. The couple that run it are lovely and they were very flexible when it came to what we wanted at our wedding next year. Think its worth asking them as they may ice your cake and they do it beautifully and have so many optiopns.

Thanks Zoe, I haven't found anyone yet - though wedding's not till 2012 so I have time!!

Thanks for the recommendation. I have had companies say they won't do it because if something happens to the cake then they can't replace it to be the same as the one I made... which I guess makes sense, but I wonder if its actually just a cop out!

Hi there

I am just in the process of starting my own cake making and decorating company up. As my business is very new I am very resonable with my prices and I am doing my prices different to a lot of companies who charge a flat fee to decorate a cake I charge per hour. If you are interested you can contact me on 07900 411 286.

Archived