Internet contract- they 'can't find address'?

Where do I stand on a 12-month contract when my internet provider cannot give service in the stated time period?

I signed up for O2's broadband in mid-June 2010, first 3 months free then £10mth the rest of the contract. I then moved house in Sept and had O2 suspend my account.

After BT's fumbling, was finally re-connected by them on 30th Sept (not 21st) and immediately told O2 of the new line activation- keeping my same landline number etc.

O2 had promised to connect me in '10-16 days' (a bit longer if you keep a landline number) but now their Provisioning Dept cannot seem to find my new address (an Edwardian building) despite it being confirmed over the 'phone.

If O2 can't locate/connect me in 3 days time (the full 16 days quoted by them) can i legally dump them (owing nothing?) for them breaking their contract with me?

You were contracted for supply at your old address - however....

O2 T&C

* 8.6 Either you or we may terminate your contract by giving seven (7) days' notice by email, phone, fax or in writing to the other if:

o there has been a material breach of the Agreement by the other party (and this isn't corrected within thirty (30) days of a written notice notifying the breach);

o an event, outside our reasonable control, prevents us from providing the Services for more than thirty (30) days; or

What happens if you move?

* 9.1 If your new address is in an area that's covered by the Services, the Services can be moved to your new address, provided you give us notice at least 14 days before the expected moving date. Don't forget that you need to give us at least seven (7) days' notice or thirty (30) days' notice (as applicable) to stop the Services at your old home or you'll incur a charge to stop them at shorter notice. You'll need to give us your new address and postcode. House moves can only be carried out on Working Days.

* 9.2 If you move house we'll end your Services on the day you ask and do our best to start them in your new home the next Working Day, or Working Day of your choice. We may have to make an engineer's appointment depending on what needs to be done.

* 9.3 We reserve the right to refuse a house move. If we are unable to provide Services to your new address or refuse to carry out a house move, then the cancellation terms in clause 8 will apply.

Hope that clears it up

Archived