Worths Mobile Shop in Parson Cross.

SUTman

Does anyone remember the cream coloured van owned by Mr Worth of Penistone Road who used to deliver groceries and the like in the Parson Cross area in the fifties? He later ran a Bedford OB coach converted for this purpose which was painted cream and red.

From a previous post:

Not sure about Marigold, but we had "Worth Brothers" which came up Wordsworth from Hillsboro via Doe Royd. "Bernard Worth" was the main guy. Good salesman but didn't like kids, which was a shame really cause when he stopped outside 405 about twenty of us got and started swinging on the gear stick and saying "ave you got anythin for a penny?"

If you didn't choose quickly you ended up down Milnrow

• 1 year later...

hiya i remember bernard worth. living on doeroyd crescent, he use to stop on the top of the hill at Sharps house, then at our house no.40 from there he went to the bottom and turned left on wordsworth ave. Sadly I remember that he ran over our next doors neighbours lads leg. But yes, he must have made a forturne off us kid then, we were all big familys on doeroyd. Good street games good punch ups

It would be interesting to know the full route of the Worth Bros van. I know he used to go down Milnrow and then Holgate but not sure from then.

At the end of Holgate I think he went through a hole in the space/time continuum and ended up back at the cafe near Bassetts

• 2 weeks later...
At the end of Holgate I think he went through a hole in the space/time continuum and ended up back at the cafe near Bassetts
he finished at the steelhouses on holgate and he had a cafe and sweet shop on penistone rd which he sold to a man who worked at swifts steelworks across from hillfoot steel works.

Archived