Pain control!!advice needed

Can anyone tell me why Doctors are pushing Tramadol and Gabapentin for chronic pain control,I've been prescribed this cause the doc wants me off diclofenac which I have been on for years for arthiritis and chronic extremely painful back problems.

Ive been put on these drugs,which are not helping me much,I am now on the maximum dose as well.

I wouldn't have been suspicious but 2 of my friends have been put on the same regime,one refusing to take it.

Is it a directive from NICE they seem to putting their points across lately.

I am still having to take diclofenac to get me moving.

Someone must know what iis going on,Please let me know.

Can anyone tell me why Doctors are pushing Tramadol and Gabapentin for chronic pain control,I've been prescribed this cause the doc wants me off diclofenac which I have been on for years for arthiritis and chronic extremely painful back problems.

Ive been put on these drugs,which are not helping me much,I am now on the maximum dose as well.

I wouldn't have been suspicious but 2 of my friends have been put on the same regime,one refusing to take it.

Bit of a long shot but have you thought of asking your Doctor?

Diclofenac belongs to family of drugs known as Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, or NSAID. This family of drugs can cause serious side effects, the chances of these side effects increase when they are used over a long period of time.

Do you have any other health problems that may contraindicate taking them, over a long period, such as problem with your digestive system, or are you on any other medication that may interact with the Diclofenac?

Yes, I think you need to go and talk to your doctor too. I'm lucky enough to have a decent level of pain control on the cocktail prescribed for me by my palliative care consultant, but if you're having declining pain control then I'd go and see your GP and ask for a referral to a pain clinic if there's no way he can see of getting your control back.

NSAIDs (anti-inflammatory painkillers such as diclofenac, naproxen, ibuprofen etc.) are very valuable, but research shows that a growing proportion of patients taking these drugs start to suffer from side effects in their gastro-intestinal tract over time, leading to acid reflux and ulcers in those susceptible. This is why I also take medication to protect my stomach from the naproxen that I take daily.

For many people tramadol and gabapentin is a very well tolerated and effective pain control combination (although I can take neither) and various studies have shown that you can get better pain control for most people with a lower dose of two drugs than with a higher dose of one, thus also getting a better side effect profile for most people. However, if you aren't getting a good pain control then your GP is not going to be aware of that in order to change it until you tell them.

I've already had discussions with my doctor,he told me if the drugs are not getting rid of the pain to come and see him again,Try and get an appointment!!I see him in 3 weeks time so will have to rely on diclofenac until then,after taking this for about 20 years,no kidney problems,no digestive problems,it still dosen't kill all the pain but with fracture and slip in verterbre,I dount if anything will get rid of the awful pain.

Yikes, ive been having Naproxin for a month now and then for another month to help my shoulder imflamation along with a Cortisone injection today.Is two month of Naproxin ok?

We're talking about long term treatment, not a few months, so you should be just fine if you tolerate the treatment well.

I've been on naproxen for about 12 years now and arthritis sufferers also take drugs for a very long time too- a few months here and there is considered short term use in the world of NSAIDs.

Archived