Speed Awareness Course

It wasn't intended as personal abuse, more an observation about his current attitude. He seems to see nothing wrong with speeding per se, he just finds getting caught, annoying. That's an antisocial, thoughtless attitude, wouldn't you say? He can change his attitude if he chooses (although given his comments so far, I wouldn't bank on it):

There is nothing inherently wrong with speeding. I could safely drive my car at 150mph in the right conditions. Those conditions do exist in the UK.

The problem is the way that a car interacts with other road users. tzijlstra had that well covered in his post.

Given your hysterical reaction and tz's balanced post, I know who I'd prefer to give me a lift.

I went on one of these courses earlier this year, and was grateful not to get the three points. You can do the course anywhere - I did mine locally (in Hertfordshire) but was sat next to a guy who'd been caught speeding somewhere in the Lake District.

It wasn't how I would have chosen to spend an afternoon, but it wasn't the patronising lecture that I expected.

What I want to know is when are they going to start taking action against people who use their phone while driving. It seems every third driver I pass is on their phone (slight exaggeration) but of course, that behaviour is difficult to catch using a camera, I suppose.

The courses already run (it's either "What's driving us" or "Driving for change" for phone use, or both). Google "NDORS courses".

And, in some parts of the country, phone use (and seatbelt non-compliance) is already caught on camera by the same mobile units that currently only log your speed here. You can expect your local Safety Camera Partnership to be applying to extend its remit.

The NDORS courses are only offered to those AFTER a misdemeanour - a question for those who speak positively (overall) of the course that they attended, would they have attended (and paid for) the course before the event (as a refresher)?

I'm thinking:

"Every day's a school day", "driving is the most dangerous thing I do regularly" and "the difference between getting it right and badly (ouch) wrong can be a knife-edge on occasions, so how can I widen my margins for error?".

Just a thought.

Given your hysterical reaction and tz's balanced post, I know who I'd prefer to give me a lift.

You'd be safe as well, never been in an accident, although I am now going to look for a piece of wood :)

In the Netherlands the police is so restrictive that it really is turning into a bad situation, because they use loads of hidden radar devices people slow down to well below the speed limit as soon as there is a car parked on the verge for example, or when there are a few wheelie-bins next to the road.

In other words, he is objecting to the law being enforced for everyone's safety and thinks it's unfair. Why is it 'bad' if people slow down in built up areas?

Just noticed this now. What I describe is taking place on A-roads where the speed limit is either 80 or 100 km/h. The traffic is flowing fine and all of a sudden someone decides that the car in the verge might be a police car, slaps on the breaks and as a result the whole procession of cars has to do the same, this is not only what causes traffic jams, it also causes road-rage, leading to far more dangerous situations.

I really don't know what makes you react so aggressively, but I get the distinct impression you are a scared driver, intimidated by what is going on around you rather than being confident in your ability to deal with all circumstances. Perhaps I am wrong, but in my experience scared drivers are far more dangerous on roads than confident drivers.

No, the bad thing about the situation was that you were driving unsafely and illegally.

FFS. It is not a a game, or a case of the police being nice or not nice. The speed limits are there for a reason - to stop you killing or paralysing someone with the two tons of dangerous weapon that you are careering about in. I only hope my kids aren't in your way when you are at the wheel. Your attitude is cretinous.

Speed limits are there because some cant use common sense.Fortunatly some can and do.

Well I got caught speeding twice in quick succession about 6 years ago, one for doing 80 on a motorway and the other for doing 60 in a 50. I never got offered the course but was caught a couple of months ago but was offered the course so did that instead of the points. I found it very useful, you never know what you forget and if I had been offered the course for the motorway offence I probably wouldnn't of got the second.

After the other speeding fines my driving style didn't really change, after doing this course I stick to the speed limit a lot more, not saying I'm now perfect but compared to before the course I'm a lot more cautuous. I would say to anyone that has the chance to do it

What I describe is taking place on A-roads where the speed limit is either 80 or 100 km/h. The traffic is flowing fine and all of a sudden someone decides that the car in the verge might be a police car, slaps on the breaks and as a result the whole procession of cars has to do the same, this is not only what causes traffic jams, it also causes road-rage, leading to far more dangerous situations.
Then perhaps it will teach people to observe a safe stopping distance, as per the Highway Code. Or is that too uncool for you, boy racer?

I really don't know what makes you react so aggressively, but I get the distinct impression you are a scared driver, intimidated by what is going on around you rather than being confident in your ability to deal with all circumstances. Perhaps I am wrong, but in my experience scared drivers are far more dangerous on roads than confident drivers
Yes, you are wrong.

Then perhaps it will teach people to observe a safe stopping distance, as per the Highway Code. Or is that too uncool for you, boy racer?

Yes, you are wrong.

Keep them coming, you are making yourself look like an enormous fool. You assume you know me, or how I drive, but you haven't got a clue.

Well AliceBB, that's some ruffled feathers, let me put them straight for you.

Firstly, my late grandfather, who drove at about half the speed limit most of the time, got fined for doing 33 in a 30 km zone, for your ease of thought, that is like 21 mph in a 20 mph zone; he got it overturned as there was no sign indicating the speed limit.

Secondly, my father, a trained and experienced paramedic, still receives fines as often as I used to. He is fully aware that speed kills and never breaks the speed limit knowingly. Tell me miss righteousness, do you always check your speed whilst driving, as in continuously? You would be lying if you did.

Thirdly, My father also has 'police colleagues' that in private happily admit being as ****** off with the covered up road tax regime as non police-men, in fact, his best friend who is a police officer, has received three speeding tickets in the space of five days last month.

Fourthly, ask any Dutchman two questions: have you ever had a speeding ticket? And: do you think the current regime is right. You guess the answers.

Finally, I have lived in the UK for over seven years and drive about 16000 miles a year, I have NEVER had a speeding ticket in this country.

Final finally, cause you really got me going here with your self righteous attitude, four years ago a child coming out of school decided to jump in front of my car on Manchester Road, had i been a bad/careless driver, she would have been dead, but as I am not, I had already dropped my speed to under 20 mph in a 30 mph area because I noticed all the kids walking along the road, and I always adjust my speed to the circumstances.

So next time you feel it necessary to bleat on about someone you don't know I recommend that you think twice.

Good night.

But not goodnight, after all, more's the pity:

Keep them coming, you are making yourself look like an enormous fool. You assume you know me, or how I drive, but you haven't got a clue.

Protesting too much, methinks...:loopy:

Archived