Speed Awareness Course

Has anyone been on it?

What have I got to look forward to?

How can South Yorkshire Police say they are trying to revert from punishing (3 pts & fine) to educating (£71 course)

Why is it £10 cheaper to do it in the Midlands & £10 more to do the course in Wales!?!

They both sound like equal punishments to me.

I'll make sure I won't get caught next time :hihi:

The course drags out a couple of hours to make half a day, which I assume is the point. They show you films and you do a mini exam, but as no one actually collected the papers afterwards I don't think it was important. They also gave us 2 tokens each for the coffee machine.

Not much else to report apart from I sat next to a very pretty girl and gave her my phone number. She has clearly lost it as she hasn't rung nearly 12 months later.

Speed limits are there because some cant use common sense.Fortunatly some can and do.

Its not really something you would understand.

I admit it, I've no idea what you're on about.

Unless you were driving before speed limits were introduced, that would probably make you 95. (edit, actually you'd be 152)

But not goodnight, after all, more's the pity:

Protesting too much, methinks...:loopy:

Don't know how long your days are, but that good noght referred to the fact it was late in the evening :loopy:

So tell me, how long have you been driving damage free?

At least include your 'common sense' post for context (done it for you) .

Speed limits were introduced in 1861.

Just to clarify, whilst some speed limits have been in place almost since driving began, the 70 maximum for motoways was only introduced in 1965, and that ws mainly to reduce fuel consumption.

Wiki says its because of crashes:

Following a series of serious motorway multiple crashes in the fog in 1965, Tom Fraser, the then Minister of Transport, following consultations in early November with the police and with the National Road Safety Advisory Council (NRSAC), concluded that the crashes were caused by vehicles travelling too fast for the prevailing conditions. The NRSAC advised that a 20 mph (32 km/h) motorway speed limit should be imposed on motorway stretches affected by fog and that a general speed limit of 70 mph (113 km/h) should be experimentally applied for the winter months. On 25 November 1965 the government announced that a temporary 30 mph (48 km/h) speed limit would be applied to sections of motorway (there were 350 miles (560 km) of it at that time) affected by fog, ice or snow and that a general maximum speed limit of 70 mph (113 km/h) would be applied to all otherwise unrestricted roads, including motorways, for a trial period of four months starting just before Christmas.

The four-month trial 70 mph (113 km/h) speed limit on 100,000 miles (160,000 km) of previously unrestricted roads and motorways was introduced at noon on 22 December 1965. Also on that day, the power for the police to apply advisory speed limits of 30 mph (48 km/h) to motorways affected by bad weather was also introduced. The advisory limit was activated by the use of flashing amber lights placed at 1 mile (1.6 km) intervals along the motorways.

In April 1966 Barbara Castle, the new Minister of Transport, decided to extend the experimental 70 mph (113 km/h) limit for a further two months to allow the Road Research Laboratory (RRL) time to collect data as there was still no conclusive evidence of its effectiveness. In May 1966 Barbara Castle extended the experimental period by a further fifteen months to 3 September 1967 as "the case is not proven" but there were signs of crash rate reduction.

In July 1966 the speed limit for "public service vehicles" (notably buses) was raised from 40 mph (64 km/h) to 50 mph (80 km/h).

The highest number of fatalities during peacetime was 7,985 in 1966.

In July 1967 Mrs Castle announced that 70 mph (113 km/h) was to become the permanent maximum speed limit for all roads and motorways. She had accepted RRL evidence that the speed limit had reduced the number of casualties on motorways. She ruled out minimum speed limits for motorways which would also reduce the danger of slow traffic as being too difficult to enforce and likely to increase congestion off the motorways. The two major motoring organisations at the time, The Automobile Association and the R.A.C. welcomed the maximum speed limits for all-purpose roads, but the R.A.C. would have preferred more flexibility for motorways. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents suggested that a lower speed limit would be more appropriate for all-purpose roads and the Pedestrian's Association for Road Safety condemned the new limits as being too high, preferring 60 mph (97 km/h) limits for all roads. Mrs Castle's decision and acceptance of the RRL research at face value was controversial. Peter Walker's motion in Parliament to annul the speed limit on motorways was negatived.

Wiki says its because of crashes:

Hi there,

Apologies for my error. I must learn to check my facts and not guess. I was thinking of the 1974 changes as follows:

1974: New speed limit to curb fuel use

British drivers must adhere to reduced speed limits from midnight tonight as the government tries to save fuel.

Speed limits on motorways will remain 70mph (112kph), but on dual carriageways they will become 60mph (96kph), and on all other roads 50mph (80kph).

Motorists could previously drive up to a limit of 70mph.

Anyone breaking the new restrictions will be reported, though not necessarily summoned.

The maximum penalty for speeding has been doubled to £100.

I think it's a good course , refreshed a lot of things I had forgotten to be fair , mostly women on the course which surprised me , the tutor was ok rather that than 3 points , he also said insurance companies are not suppose to Ask if you have attended a course but in my experience they do , probably to load your policy

So tell me, how long have you been driving damage free?

With the exception of having my car damaged once by someone taking a bend too fast and ending up on my side of the road, and someone else knocking off my wing mirror whilst the car was in a car park, then 35 years.

I don't speed, but then my uncle was killed by a speeding motorist and I don't flatter myself that I am stunt driver or above the law.

Why?

Archived