TALK TALK want eighty quid to change my number.

I recently contacted TALK TALK asking them if I could have a different number. I explained to them that I receive calls for Boots chemist because my number is similar.

Here is their reply followed by my reply back to them (the cheeky beggars)

Thank you for your email regarding the calls you have been receiving.

I understand your concerns with regards to this matter.

I can advise you to add the Anonymous Caller Reject feature or Caller Display. Anonymous Caller reject costs £3.80 per month.

Caller Display is free and allows you the view the number of the person calling so you can decide if you want to take the call.

Alternatively, you can change your number by getting a new line installed for £79.99. If you wish to get a new line you will also incur a disconnection fee for your existing line.

If you would like to add any of the above options or should you require further information, please reply to this email. Alternatively, you can contact our customer services on the number listed below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your reply which is not helpful in any way for the following reasons.

Sometimes I need to receive call types that are classed as “anonymous”. This is because callers such as the hospital or doctors withhold their number when calling, so this is not an option. In any event the people that call my number instead of boots do not necessarily withhold their number.

Caller display. If you are saying that this may solve the problem, then clearly you have failed to understand what the problem is. If someone calls me and I do not recognise the number, how do I know who it is or why they are calling prior to answering? I may have placed an advert in the paper and they could be calling about that.

Your 3rd option suggesting changing my number and paying TALK TALK £79.99 to press some buttons on the computer is not an option either. Why should I pay that amount of money when I can simply leave TALK TALK and take my business to BT ? I am not in any contract with TALK TALK , so I am free to leave at any time I wish.

I await your reply.

I asked a mobile company for a change of number after getting nasty and extremely threatening phone calls, and I asked to stay on the tariff I was on, as I was happy with the tariff.

They wanted to charge me, to change the number, and were not going to let me keep the tariff I was on, wanting me to change to a dearer tariff.

I told them to get lost, and said "what incentive is that to stay?" explaining that it would be cheaper for me to go to another network, as they were outrageously costly.

That's what I did. I went to the other company, got a better deal, and didn't give the original company house-room.

I'd say send Talk Talk packing and go elsewhere.

Our number is similar to that of a company that sells water for those office cooler things, and I considered just taking the orders and getting a commission.

It's great how people get annoyed with you because they've got the wrong number, isn't it? My favourite was the woman who hung up when I started to explain that she had dialled a 6 instead of an 8. As she hung up she dialled the wrong number again, and got me again, and then tried to claim that she hadn't hung up but that there was a fault on the line.

Anyway - talk talk are useless and apparently have no customer service skills. Go elsewhere.

Archived