Invitation to The Sportsman - anyone else get this?

alas_alas

Thanks to kirbyb for update on the beers. On their website it looks like the have a massive selection - mentions up to 10 cask ales - and it gives some examples. But from what you have told us it's mainstream rubbish as usual. So, I'll give it a miss too!

Shame really.

Update? That post was from 2010.

The Sportsman has been an Ember Inn for many years. When I worked for M&B in 2005 at the Bulls Head in Ranmoor (which was, at that point, an Ember Tavern) It was an Ember Inn, from memory from what my boss at the time (Angela, for those who remember her) told me, it was also the flagship pub Ember Inn for Sheffield.

I did a couple of shifts there as cover and remember it being quite a nice place. Might have a wander up to see what it's like now.

Having never been in the place prior to the back end of December I was fairly impressed at what I saw. It's pretty good for an Ember Inn in that, even though it does the whole food based thing, there is still an area in which it feels like you're in a proper pub. Haven't tried the food yet but will be able to comment on that soon.

Also, they now have a pretty damn good band playing on a Friday night every couple of months!

So I go onto the Ember Inns website and put S10, then Sheffield, then Crosspool, then Sportsman in, but it doesn't come up with any such pub in Sheffield. Only mentions the Robin Hood and one or two others.

So, the Sportsman at Crosspool is a very well kept secret then? So much so that the parent company who owns it doesn't even know about it!

I did find it's own website eventually using Google. Strange how its not on the national site though.

Strange. When I put "Crosspool" into the search it was the first and only result.

I got this

Archived