Letting Agents and Nuisance Neighbours - Advice Muchly Appreciated

Hi Guys,

For the past 6/7weeks we have been experiencing serious problems with our next door neighbours who moved in at the end of August 2010. Some of you may have seen another thread of mine to do with this, titled Noisey Neighbours.

We contacted the letting agents who said that there is nothing they can do. They have already issued the tennent with warning letters reminding them of their legal obligation, but after that they can't do anything......is this correct?

We already have the Environmental Health involved who have been extremley helpful, but we are concerned that the letting agents can't do anything unless possibly instructed by the landlord?

The last things we have experienced are Monday night, we had to ring 999 as 10-15 youths turned up at the property and attacked people inside the property and last night we had banging, screaming, shouting, singing, loud music etc till early hours of the morning (reported to environmental health).

If anyone can give me any advice with regards to the letting agents I would be extremley grateful, we can't cope with this anymore and it ruining our lives.

Tara :(

Hi Guys,

For the past 6/7weeks we have been experiencing serious problems with our next door neighbours who moved in at the end of August 2010. Some of you may have seen another thread of mine to do with this, titled Noisey Neighbours.

We contacted the letting agents who said that there is nothing they can do. They have already issued the tennent with warning letters reminding them of their legal obligation, but after that they can't do anything......is this correct?

We already have the Environmental Health involved who have been extremley helpful, but we are concerned that the letting agents can't do anything unless possibly instructed by the landlord?

The last things we have experienced are Monday night, we had to ring 999 as 10-15 youths turned up at the property and attacked people inside the property and last night we had banging, screaming, shouting, singing, loud music etc till early hours of the morning (reported to environmental health).

If anyone can give me any advice with regards to the letting agents I would be extremley grateful, we can't cope with this anymore and it ruining our lives.

This is something you dont have to tolerate. The environmental health will take action (assuming you've completed their questionnaire and they've installed one of their recording devices to gather evidence), they then serve a notice on the landlord which can be enforced by a court order.

Hi Guys,

get yourself a good neighbourhood watch...like some people have...they deal directly with troublesome neighbours...and most are gone in 48 hours....

Hi Guys,

Is it a house or an apartment in a block that you live?

have the noise team not been abole to offer any advice about the legalities of the situation?

im sure they would be able to help in some way.

x

If the landlord is getting a steady income and there's no damage to his property I'm guessing he and the letting agency won't do anything.

After all he won't want the cost and hassle of finding another tenant.

Not true. If the property is attracting unsavoury characters and trouble, it could cost the landlord dearly. I suggest you track the landlord down and deal with him directly. If he knows his investment is in danger, he'll act. Also, most of the leases have clauses they will have broken and he can get them out of the property on this basis. Maybe a warning to the tennants from their landlord will suffice.

Hey Guys,

We know the landlord, and basically he's turned round and said he can't do anything (the impression we get is that as long as the rent is being paid it doesn't matter. He had no one in the property for 3 months before they moved in!). And from the sounds of it to get them out it will cost him which he cant afford! The noise team did offer a little advice - basically to keep pestering the letting agent.

We live in a block of 4 houses (all 2 bedroom) we are on the end. The other people on the other side directly next to them have moved out!! Its not an option for us to sell our property and move either!

Im confussed because I thought there would have been a clause in the contract that they have broken therefore the letting agent must act upon this?

I can't confirm too much detail about whats currently going on this the EH (I don't know who could be reading this!) etc. If I'm honest I'm quite impatient and want this sorting out now because its having a massive effect on me and my partner......I want a quick fix and to teach these people a lesson which I know isnt going to happen any time soon! I just want them out so we can be happy again!

Hey Guys,

We know the landlord, and basically he's turned round and said he can't do anything (the impression we get is that as long as the rent is being paid it doesn't matter. He had no one in the property for 3 months before they moved in!). And from the sounds of it to get them out it will cost him which he cant afford! The noise team did offer a little advice - basically to keep pestering the letting agent.

We live in a block of 4 houses (all 2 bedroom) we are on the end. The other people on the other side directly next to them have moved out!! Its not an option for us to sell our property and move either!

Im confussed because I thought there would have been a clause in the contract that they have broken therefore the letting agent must act upon this?

I can't confirm too much detail about whats currently going on this the EH (I don't know who could be reading this!) etc. If I'm honest I'm quite impatient and want this sorting out now because its having a massive effect on me and my partner......I want a quick fix and to teach these people a lesson which I know isnt going to happen any time soon! I just want them out so we can be happy again!

Something's not right here. Who are the lettings agency? Most agencies I know are supposed to vet the tennants, and there are usually clauses in the lease that stipulate the occupants of neighbouring properties rights to enjoy their properties. If the tennants break this agreement, that is grounds for ceasing the contract, as far as I know. Has the landlord or the agency visited and inspected the property recently to see how it is being looked after? This might sway them.

Archived