Letting Agents and Nuisance Neighbours - Advice Muchly Appreciated

Hey Guys,

We know the landlord, and basically he's turned round and said he can't do anything (the impression we get is that as long as the rent is being paid it doesn't matter. He had no one in the property for 3 months before they moved in!). And from the sounds of it to get them out it will cost him which he cant afford! The noise team did offer a little advice - basically to keep pestering the letting agent.

Did the environmental health have evidence of the noise problem? If they do you dont need to over complicate matters by talking to the landlord or letting agent, the environmental health people can compel the landlord to act.

Something's not right here. Who are the lettings agency? Most agencies I know are supposed to vet the tennants, and there are usually clauses in the lease that stipulate the occupants of neighbouring properties rights to enjoy their properties. If the tennants break this agreement, that is grounds for ceasing the contract, as far as I know. Has the landlord or the agency visited and inspected the property recently to see how it is being looked after? This might sway them.
It sounds like the landlord isnt motivated to do anything about it whilst ever he's receiving the rent, DV, that's why the OP should forget that route having tried it and deal with the environmental health department.

We had a similar problem where we live, it's a nightmare so you have my sympathy. Every time there is a problem with the neighbours, phone the police either on the local number or 999 if necessary and get a crime number each time. After each time, phone the letting agent, giving them the crime number. Hassle the letting agent, make it easier for them to get rid of the tennants, that worked on our street. Also, get the local press involved, write to the Star, phone them and tell them about it. One of our neighbours did this incessantly and got our local MP involved and it did work, the tennants were removed in the end. Complain vocally and publicly, get a petition signed by neighbours and shame the letting company into acting, as the landlord sounds useless. good luck.

It sounds like the landlord isnt motivated to do anything about it whilst ever he's receiving the rent, DV, that's why the OP should forget that route having tried it and deal with the environmental health department.

If that's the case, then I agree 100% but I can't understand why a landlord would want these types in his property, as they will have to clear up the mess, eventually, when the tennants have gone and that could be more than the rent!

Hassle the letting agent, make it easier for them to get rid of the tennants, that worked on our street. Also, get the local press involved, write to the Star, phone them and tell them about it. One of our neighbours did this incessantly and got our local MP involved and it did work, the tennants were removed in the end. Complain vocally and publicly, get a petition signed by neighbours and shame the letting company into acting, as the landlord sounds useless. good luck.

I think I'd be doing this too.

The local press seem to love a good nasty neighbour story, our street was front page of the YEP, with all our neighbours doing their best sad faces for the picture. Everyone on our street was phoning the letting agent to complain after every incident, no matter how small so they got fed up. Motivate your neighbours to get involved too, one person complaining doesn't have anywhere near the same impact as three or four. Also, keep a diary of all incidents, logging crime numbers when the police have been called too.

Do you have a local neighbour hood community policing team? Our MP got on to ours and they were very involved, coming round to see us etc, so find out about yours and hassle them too. I believe that there are local council elections next year, so it might be worth getting your local councilor involved, as they will be tarting about for votes.

Sorry you're still having problems, been there and it's awful.

Name and shame the letting agent. Nowadays most people check online about them and if they see the one you're involved with isn't up to scratch then they will avoid doing business with them. It may make then shift their butts and do their job if they start losing customers.

You should remind them that once they are named online as bad agents it stays online. Forever.

Good luck

Thanks everyone, your suggestions are great and we are going to get right on it!

Letting Agents are William H Brown (Crystal Peaks). Her mother is the guarantor (sorry about my spelling!) and checks were done on her mother. The young lady in question does not work and claiming benefits which are paid direct to her and she pays the rent direct to the landlord.

Archived