New Mobile Phone Law - December 1st

Geoff

Originally posted by MrHelicopter

No, I am not a pilot.

It was still a hand held communications device - just one hand on the steering wheel, holding a conversation? Isn't that the point of the new law?

The new law does not include "push to talk" devices. Maybewe will see the rise of the CB radio ? :thumbsup:

I read in the paper the other day some clarification about the new law.

The law states that you can not 'hold' the phone in your hand. Not even for a split second. Therefore you can press buttons to make calls and text message, as long as the phone is not held. So you only need to have a cradle on the dashboard to hold it and you can press buttons as much as you like to text (like changing the radio) and you can choose a number to call and use a hands free kit. So basically you still have the situation where one hand is on the wheel and concentration is lost. The paper was advising people to buy a cradle so if they get stopped they have proof they didn't hold it.

Forum user Andy suggested I ask the police where they stand with regards to using their own mobile phones and radios while driving. I have now received a reply from a spokesperson at South Yorkshire police, which reads:

"Police officers do not use mobile telephones as a primary means of communication because they are issued with two-way radios. The law in fact prohibits police officers from using hand-held mobile telephones whilst driving in the same was as the general public. The same exemptions also apply to them however - they can use 2-way radios whilst driving and can also use hand held mobile telephones in an emergency where there is no safe alternative to park up safely."

:)

Archived