The evils of coffee and coke ..

I don't agree with that. No way is caffeine more addictive than heroin.

I can believe that nicotine is at least as addictive as heroin as it's so difficult to give up, but coffee? Nah...

Try giving it up for a few days and you'll find there's no great addiction or withdrawal effects.

Overdose is quite easy to achieve.

Shakes and jitters.

Some people have even died.

You can die from overdose of nicotine but to do that you need to buy N-junkie patches and gum.

You won't die by overdose of nicotine from smoking.

Drink an 8 Oz jar of Instant Coffee in one evening and you'll get an idea of what caffeine overdose is ... jitters and a feeling like insects crawling under your skin. (I did it when I was a teenager studying for an 'A' level exam the next day. ;))

If you want a really hefty dose of caffeine, drink tea. - It's got more caffeine than coffee by a long way.

You won't die by overdose from smoking any more - because the amount of nicotine in cigarettes was reduced in the early 60s - precisely because people (particularly small people who had nicked their Dad's Capstan Full Strength) were doing just that.

There are so many inaccurate statement in that diatribe that it really isn't worth the paper it isn't written on.

There have been lots of accusations against aspartame, but every single accusation has been found to be false. For example the tumour accusation was investigated (along with the supposed fraud in the searle study) and it was found that there was a methodology mistake in the study but it did not affect the result and there was certainly no fraud.

The worst thing about aspartame is the price. - High enough to give you a heart attack.:hihi:

I can believe that nicotine is at least as addictive as heroin as it's so difficult to give up, but coffee? Nah...

How many 'highs' does a heroin addict experience each day?

How many highs does a nicotine addict experience each day? - Multiply the number of cigarettes smoked by the number of puffs.

How many 'highs' does a heroin addict experience each day?

How many highs does a nicotine addict experience each day? - Multiply the number of cigarettes smoked by the number of puffs.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're getting at. Both heroin and nicotine addicts will try and maintain a level of the drug in their bloodstream that satisfies their addiction.

Drink an 8 Oz jar of Instant Coffee in one evening and you'll get an idea of what caffeine overdose is ... jitters and a feeling like insects crawling under your skin. (I did it when I was a teenager studying for an 'A' level exam the next day. ;))

If you want a really hefty dose of caffeine, drink tea. - It's got more caffeine than coffee by a long way.

You won't die by overdose from smoking any more - because the amount of nicotine in cigarettes was reduced in the early 60s - precisely because people (particularly small people who had nicked their Dad's Capstan Full Strength) were doing just that.

The worst thing about aspartame is the price. - High enough to give you a heart attack.:hihi:

That is quite simply untrue. Average caffeine content in a cup of coffee can range from 40-150 mg.

Tea on the other hand can range from 20-110 mg.

Try giving it up for a few days and you'll find there's no great addiction or withdrawal effects.

No withdrawal effect? Take a look @ this:

• Irritable
  • Restless
  • Muscle stiffness
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Headaches, moderate to severe
  • Chills and/or hot spells

Sorry, I don't understand what you're getting at. Both heroin and nicotine addicts will try and maintain a level of the drug in their bloodstream that satisfies their addiction.

I've been told it doesn't work that way - indeed a constant level of nicotine (as you would get from a patch) tends to 'burn out' or at least de-sensitise the receptors.

When a smoker inhales a cigarette, the nicotine-containing smoke is passed over about 2 sq metres of permeable barrier (the lung surfaces) and the blood passing through the lungs at that time is heavily dosed with nicotine. When that blood gets to the brain, nicotine levels surge dramatically - but then fall as the next (non-nicotine laden) blood passes through. The result is a fairly short-term high.

Did a few people die from capstan full strength then?

Archived