The evils of coffee and coke ..

No withdrawal effect? Take a look @ this:

• Irritable
  • Restless
  • Muscle stiffness
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Headaches, moderate to severe
  • Chills and/or hot spells

Give up caffeine for two days and report back. I'd be interested to know the results. In fact I might try it myself.

Did a few people die from capstan full strength then?

Apparently a number of people (and particularly children) were poisoned by strong cigarettes.

I've no idea which brands - though CFS were certainly one of the stronger brands available - and I've no idea how many died.

Anybody who was poisoned by nicotine may have wished they were dead.

I read somewhere a couple of years ago that caffeine is more addictive than heroin.

I do remember being in the USA a couple of years ago in a coffee shop I ordered a strong latte with an extra shot in it. This hyped up fella behind me said "Jesus, I'm on crack cocaine but I couldn't do THAT much caffeine".

I love America.

I don't agree with that. No way is caffeine more addictive than heroin.

I can believe that nicotine is at least as addictive as heroin as it's so difficult to give up, but coffee? Nah...

Try giving it up for a few days and you'll find there's no great addiction or withdrawal effects.

How addictive something is is not linked to how easy it is to quit.

Caffeine is incredibly addictive (ie once is enough to form the dependence). It's also very easy to kick, the side effects are negligible and the risk of using is practically zero.

Give up caffeine for two days and report back. I'd be interested to know the results. In fact I might try it myself.

By sheer coincidence, I haven't been feeling well and as I drink a lot of diet drinks I thought I would try giving up caffeine to see if it changed how I felt. This was three days ago. I still ate the odd bit of chocolate but no drinks with caffeine in. I felt horrible and sluggish but as I said I already wasn't feeling well. Anyway... today I drank two cans of Diet Coke then a can of Red Bull and I have the jitters something chronic! I feel really shaky and I can only put it down to having gone two days without it then having lots at once!

PS I know I only gave up for two days and that's really rubbish of me! Maybe it is as addictive as people here have been saying :)

How addictive something is is not linked to how easy it is to quit.

Caffeine is incredibly addictive (ie once is enough to form the dependence). It's also very easy to kick, the side effects are negligible and the risk of using is practically zero.

In what sense is something addictive if it's easy to give up? I thought the whole definition of what makes something 'addictive' relies on not being able to give it up.

But why? People tell me aspartame rots your brain! But what does that mean and if it's true then why hasn't it been banned? A lot of studies have been done and I don't think there is conclusive evidnce that it's bad for you. Just evidence that it can build up in your soft tissues (I think) but does this necessarily do harm? I drink diet drinks constantly so I'm interested to know.

If you eat too much fruit it will make you fat. Do you get the point?

Drinking diet drinks is no good, something in the diet drink stops u losing weight in the long term.

Coffee isn't that bad aslong as you dont drink too much.

In what sense is something addictive if it's easy to give up? I thought the whole definition of what makes something 'addictive' relies on not being able to give it up.

No, it relies on you forming either a psychological or physiological desire for it.

If you eat too much fruit it will make you fat. Do you get the point?

Drinking diet drinks is no good, something in the diet drink stops u losing weight in the long term.

Coffee isn't that bad aslong as you dont drink too much.

Coffee is good for you, it has health benefits.

Archived