Rail fares rip off

Have been looking at going up to edinburgh as my youngest wants to go there on his 21st in november. was looking at going up by rail and was quoted £166.00 single fare there and £102.00 coming back. What a rip off, at least dick turpin wore a mask. Cheaper to go buy car and clog up the road

yes book well in advance. I went 2 london 1st class for £16 and going 2 edinburgh 1st class for £50

Have been looking at going up to edinburgh as my youngest wants to go there on his 21st in november. was looking at going up by rail and was quoted £166.00 single fare there and £102.00 coming back. What a rip off, at least dick turpin wore a mask. Cheaper to go buy car and clog up the road

I travelled up to Glasgow last Monday with Megatrain picking up at Warrington travelling back wednesday morning for the price of a pint 2 pound return plus 50 p booking charge.train back from Warrington to Sheffield 4 pound 50 p. Happy days. Try the west coast route using Virgin or Trans pennine from Manchester.

Purchase a Young person railcard is the answer - offers a third off most tickets

daftlad, what date are you wanting to go/come back and how many of you are there (adults/children)?

Are you travelling from Sheffield?

There will probably be some cheaper tickets, if you post the details someone might be able to find something.

I have just had a look on BMI Baby and, from the random dates I have searched on, the following fares came up.

Manchester to Edinburgh £61.

Edinburgh to Manchester £38.

Ive flown up before from East midlands on the early morning flight at 7-00am but have been no better off as the first bus to the airport was 5-00 am gets in just in time for checking in,arriving in Edinburgh 8ish then getting to the city 9ish you could be vitually at your hotel if you get the first train up the road from Donny.I think Easy jet still do this route East Mids -Edin/Glas

Sorry Cycone you are WRONG:

DETAILS OF YOUNG PERSON RAILCARD:

Buy a 16-25 Railcard and make Epic Savings while you can!

A 16-25 Railcard costs just £26 and it'll save you 1/3 on rail fares throughout Great Britain for a whole year. That works out to around £2 a month for huge savings. You're eligible if you're aged between 16-25, or over the age of 26 and in full-time education.

There are plenty of ways you can use your Railcard, for both long and short trips. Better still you can use it anytime on weekends, Public Holidays and during the week. The only restriction is that if you travel at or before 10am Monday to Friday (except during July and August) a minimum fare of £12 will apply. For more details see minimum fares.

Your 16-25 Railcard will save you 1/3 on loads of tickets - now even on ALL Standard and First Class Advance fares. Take a look at the ticket types you can make savings on with a 16-25 Railcard.

Archived