Rail fares rip off

Assuming that daftlad is paying for his son (it doesn't say so) then his son getting a railcard would be sensible.

It's not possible for daftlad to get a railcard though, nor will his son having one save him anything on his own ticket.

It really doesn't make sense. I was booking a train from Glasgow to Sheffield the other day, and two consecutive trains were priced at £60 and £23, and it wasn't even the off peak/peak change.

That’s what I said earlier, I went to London once and there was two trains a few minutes apart but the difference in price was eye watering.

It's not possible for daftlad to get a railcard though, nor will his son having one save him anything on his own ticket.

Do you mean he can't get a rail card? Period.

Because this http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/railcards-discounts/railcards_national.html would disagree

Or do you mean he can't get a 16-25 rail card?

I'm afraid he told you fibs then!

The reason your fares are different is that if you buy a direct fare, it is purchased from the TOC - in this case, Northern Rail (believe me when I say no other TOCs call here).

If you buy them separately, you qualify for the subsidised fares under the Passenger Transport Executive.

Well either way I get cheaper fares = happier me :D

It really doesn't make sense. I was booking a train from Glasgow to Sheffield the other day, and two consecutive trains were priced at £60 and £23, and it wasn't even the off peak/peak change.

The train lines book in the way as the budget airlines - i.e. they have a certain number of advance tickets at each price, hence why some trains minutes apart can have vastly different ticket prices when booking ahead.

Archived