Is an EU Citizen entitled to claim benefits?

HI My friend is coming to live with us from Bulgaria, life aint great here but its a lot better than there, my partner is in the building trade and can hopeully put some work his way at certain times, but whilst he is unemployed, does any one know what benefite he is entitled too, we wont be charging him anything whilst unemployed so its just for him. Obviously he has to register for his NI number Any helpful comments and info appreciated

Bulgaria has a reciprocal arrangement with the UK; that means he is entitled to claim benefits here, just as you would be over there if you moved to live with him.

Exactly what benefits he might get, and how much it'll come to, I can't say, but at least you know that he won't be dismissed out of hand.

I knew of Polish people here getting child benefits for their kids that were back in Poland if you please!!!

Anyway check this out http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-510873/Polish-migrants-living-Britain-claiming-21m-child-benefits-children-left-behind.html

The problem with the Daily Wail is it distorts everything beyond recognition so it's barely worth reading except for a laugh.

Re the Bulgarian guy, it takes a month or more for a UK claimant to start receiving so it may take longer still for an non UK citizen.

HI My friend is coming to live with us from Bulgaria, life aint great here but its a lot better than there, my partner is in the building trade and can hopeully put some work his way at certain times, but whilst he is unemployed, does any one know what benefite he is entitled too, we wont be charging him anything whilst unemployed so its just for him. Obviously he has to register for his NI number Any helpful comments and info appreciated

I smell a troll!

Yes he can claim benefits and no he doesn't have had to have been working here for one year.

Good luck to him.

I believ he must work for a year first and register with the WRS

I'm not at all well versed with how these matters work.......but I would hope you are right chem1st. It beggers belief that anybody who chooses to up-sticks and go and live in another country, without any personal financial support or job prospects, would expect the "host" country to finance them.

Suziface........you might want to consider that you could be keeping your friend at your expense for quite some time. I take my hat off to you though. From a personal viewpoint, we couldn't afford to do this. No doubt your friend will be very grateful to you though.

Archived