Ever felt guilty for buying thing too cheap ?

My story is this. I bought a jacket of someone in Sheffield via eBay for £10 inc. P&P. The guy sold it to me as an old army jacket, which turns out to be 108 years old 1st world war , named and numbered etc... One sold tonight item number # 230536386998 for £623 and change.

Kinda took me back i knew i had something but not worth that much, kinda feel sorry for the guy in a way.

thats how shops make thier money, antique dealers live off this sort of thing, as they say one mans junk is another mans treasure, sell it make a nice profit and think of the seller you bought it off while your inlaws open thier nice xmas presents you got them with the cash you made

It happens all the time.

You only have to watch "The Antiques Road Show" to see numerous people that have bought from a car boot for pennies, and discover they bought summat of greater value.

Buying summat that turns out to be of more value than originally thought is fair play.

Buying summat, knowingly to be of more value.......well that's debateable.

My story is this. I bought a jacket of someone in Sheffield via eBay for £10 inc. P&P. The guy sold it to me as an old army jacket, which turns out to be 108 years old 1st world war , named and numbered etc... One sold tonight item number # 230536386998 for £623 and change.

Kinda took me back i knew i had something but not worth that much, kinda feel sorry for the guy in a way.

Allways thought that the 1st world war was between 1914-1918, that makes your statement of the age of the jacket at 108 years old a bit wrong.

Allways thought that the 1st world war was between 1914-1918, that makes your statement of the age of the jacket at 108 years old a bit wrong.

The jacket was issued from 1902 onwards, the jacket is a 1902 pattern which was used throughout the war. So it could be from 1902 which makes it 108 years old at the very earliest issue.

I didn't find all this out untill I bought it as old wooly army gear don't interest me. I buy more modern camo printed stuff and the likes from the past 50 years.

It happens all the time.

You only have to watch "The Antiques Road Show" to see numerous people that have bought from a car boot for pennies, and discover they bought summat of greater value.

Buying summat that turns out to be of more value than originally thought is fair play.

Buying summat, knowingly to be of more value.......well that's debateable.

But what if it was bought from a charity shop? Would you donate the profit to the charity? I would have no qualms at all about buying something from an individual at the price they asked for it. If it was from a charity shop I would return the money to them.

Archived