What do i do now? Receiving debt collection letters for someone else

...Or it's more likely to be a genuine typo error for the house number!

Or, it could be the company is trying the, highly illegal, trick of sending it to a random address, close to the correct address, in the hope you will contact them, and confirm the debtor still lives at the same address.

This thread is silly.

OP:

Ignore the mis-addressed (included mis-named) mail. Put it back in the box.

Rest of the world:

Ignore silly postings.

Me : Wait for a response which suggests an alternative solution ... but I won't hold my breath while I wait.

Is that OK?

This thread is silly.

OP:

Rest of the world:

Ignore silly postings.

Me : Wait for a response which suggests an alternative solution ... but I won't hold my breath while I wait.

Is that OK?

Problem with that is if you keep sending them back they will usually just send another (I tired that for well over a year). If you don't send it back the debt collectors might come knocking. Granted there's nothing they can do without a court order but it's not worth the hassle when a simple letter to the company concerned will suffice.

Problem with that is if you keep sending them back they will usually just send another (I tired that for well over a year). If you don't send it back the debt collectors might come knocking. Granted there's nothing they can do without a court order but it's not worth the hassle when a simple letter to the company concerned will suffice.

They won't keep on sending letters, why would they when you are telling them that the person they are trying to get hold of is not at this address (see my earlier post) . I've done it before and never heard anything back! People are getting far too serious about all this when there is no need at all.

TO THE OP JUST PUT EM BACK IN THE POSTBOX WITH 'NOT AT THIS ADDRESS' WRITTEN ON THEM. You won't get credit blacklisted for it either so please stop worrying, no need to do anything else as previously advised :)

I had a similar problem. A previous occupant was still using the address and getting his post because he kept a key to the communal entrance to grab it from the post area.

It turned out he'd recently taxed and re-insured his car to the old address despite having moved over six months ago.

That was the last straw so I handed the lot over to the police to sort.

This thread is silly.

OP:

Rest of the world:

Ignore silly postings.

Is that OK?

Thanks for that, you're a lot of help, i know what to do, what i wanted to know is what do i do if this person is doing this intentionally, she no longer lives across from me so i cant ask her why she's doing it...:huh:......what im saying is this is the second time its happened with threatening letters coming from two seperate debt collectors acting for two different companies...so i wouldnt think it was an accident when giving her address to anyone.

If it is being done intentionally..why:huh:...is it to buy herself some time??

I cant go and ask her ex as he's an obnoxious man...( a bit like one or two on here)..:(...if you cant be helpful, dont bother:rant:

Archived